IITA is an International non-profit research-for-development (R40) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R40 is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural, solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The International institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the following positions at the Institute's Kano Station and Headquarters, Ibadan.
Job Title: Research Technicians I (Maize) (2-year renewable Contract)
- Successful candidate will among other things perform the following:
- Compile list of nutrient enriched hybrids and inbred lines and take stock of seeds available in the cold store
- Participate in the preparation, packaging and dispatch of local, regional and international trials involving nutrient enriched varieties, hybrids and inbred lines
- Arrange nutrient enriched breeding materials in the cold stores in good order to facilitate easy retrieval during seed preparation
- Prepare requested seeds of nutrient enriched parental lines of hybrid, synthetics and other genetic materials for shipment to partners, research institutions and advanced research laboratories
- Supervise casual labor during seed preparation, planting, pollination and harvesting.
- Ensure protection of seed production fields and making sure they are free from weeds
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Senior Research Technician, Research Associate and the Scientist.
Qualification and Experience
- ND in Agriculture and at least four (4) years working experience in similar research areas.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to work independently and should be able to work extra hours.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and addresses of three professional referees (including telephone, fax and e-mail addresses, if available), evidence of current remuneration package and photocopies of credentials, to the
HR Administrative Manager,
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture,
PMB 5320, Oyo Road,
not later than 29 May 2012.