Ekiti State University Ado Ekiti was established as Obafemi Awolowo University, Ado-Ekiti on 30 March 1982 by the administration of late Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin, the first civilian governor of Ondo State. The university is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
The University was created through a bill passed into law by the State House of Assembly and then signed into law on 29th March, 1982 as Obafemi Awolowo University Law No. 3 of 1982 by Governor M.A. Ajasin, it was published as the Schedules 3 Section 9 (3) and 6 in the Ondo State Official Gazette Extraordinary No. 14 Vol. 7.
Producing graduates adequately equipped to handle contemporary socioeconomic and environmental challenges through cutting edge research in science, technology and humanities, driven by Information and Communication Technology
To Provide a high quality educational experience shaped by outstanding teaching and research that benefit cultures, societies and economies.
- Academic integrity
- Caring for the well-being of staff and students
- Fairness in all relationship with staff and students, irrespective of age and gender
- High standards of personal honesty and ethical behaviour
- Openness and shared governance
- Confidentiality in handling all official information
- Pursuit of excellence in teaching, research and services
- Respect for tradition and culture
- Probity in judgement and action
In its more than three decades of existence, Ekiti State University (EKSU) has been able to carve a niche for itself in Nigeria's education space. With an Alumni's strength of close to 50,000 in various areas of specialization, the University has made no mean impact on the growth of the nation's high-level human capital.