Information technology (IT) is the use of computers to store, retrieve, transmit, and manipulate data, or information, often in the context of a business or other enterprise. IT is considered to be a subset of information and communications technology (ICT).
Information Technology "I.T." It refers to anything related to computing technology, such as networking, hardware, software, the Internet, or the people that work with these technologies.
Scope of Information Technology
Information technology (IT) is a label that has two meanings. In common usage, the term “information technology” is often used to refer to all of computing. As a name of an undergraduate degree program, it refers to the preparation of students to meet the computer technology needs of business, government, healthcare, schools, and other kinds of organizations.
Career in IT is considered one of the most high-paying jobs and is full of opportunities; particularly when India’s prowess in information technology industry is recognized across the globe. The pool of talented computer engineers working in IT companies of the USA and Canada shows that IT can take a person to higher levels. Numerous IT companies employ huge number of computer professionals in their offices.
Skills and Competencies needed in Information Technology
- Understanding existing and emerging technologies
- Designing technical architecture
- Understanding business practices, approaches, organization, politics, and culture
- Managing projects; planning, prioritizing, and administering work
- Communicating and listening; gathering information
- Thinking strategically
- Influencing and persuading
- Being adaptable
- Communication skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Problem solving.
- Project management.
- Microsoft Windows.
- Word Processing Skills
- Spreadsheets Skills
- Database Skills
- Electronic Presentation Skills
- Web Navigation Skills
- Web Site Design Skills
- E-Mail Management Skills
- Digital Cameras
- Computer Network Knowledge Applicable to your School System
- File Management & Windows Explorer Skills
- Downloading Software From the Web (Knowledge including eBooks)
- Installing Computer Software onto a Computer System
- WebCT or Blackboard Teaching Skills
- Videoconferencing skills
- Computer-Related Storage Devices (Knowledge: disks, CDs, USB drives, zip disks, DVDs, etc.)
- Scanner Knowledge
- Knowledge of PDAs
- Deep Web Knowledge
- Educational Copyright Knowledge
- Computer Security Knowledge
Career Opportunities and Job Options in Information Technology
- Software applications developer.
- Computer systems analyst. ...
- Database administrator. ...
- Management analyst. ...
- Computer network architect.
- Computer Programmers.
- Computer and Information Systems Managers (IT managers)
- Database Administrators.
- Information Security Analysts,
- Web Developers, Computer Network Architects.
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators.
- Application analyst
- Cyber security analyst
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Database administrator
- Information systems manager
- IT consultant
- IT technical support officer
- Systems analyst
- Systems developer
- Applications developer
- Business analyst
- Forensic computer analyst
- Network engineer
- IT sales professional
- UX analyst
- Web content manager
Admission Requirements for the study of Information Technology in Nigeria
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Information Technology under the Faculty of Sciences in the above Universities include;
Mathematics, Physics and one of Biology, Chemistry, Agric Science, Economics and Geography
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Information Technology;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics plus two other science subjects.