Software engineering is the application of engineering to the development of software in a systematic method.
Software engineering is the systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, methods, and experience to the design, implementation, testing, and documentation of software".
"The application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software".
"an engineering discipline that is concerned with all aspects of software production".
"the establishment and use of sound engineering principles in order to economically obtain software that is reliable and works efficiently on real machines"
The term has also been used less formally:
- as the informal contemporary term for the broad range of activities that were formerly called computer programming and systems analysis;
- as the broad term for all aspects of the practice of computer programming, as opposed to the theory of computer programming, which is called computer science;
- as the term embodying the advocacy of a specific approach to computer programming, one that urges that it be treated as an engineering discipline rather than an art or a craft, and advocates the codification of recommended practices.
“A software engineer is responsible for the development, maintenance and operation of computer software to enable businesses and organisations to function as efficiently as possible. Software engineers work in a range of industries, from offices to manufacturing companies developing, operating and maintaining specific software to allow the company’s work to be carried out with as few disruptions as possible. Typically, a software engineer works with a business analyst or computer programmer to identify the needs of a company and to develop the specifications of the engineering project.
Career Scope of Software Engineering
Software and IT field is one of the top recruiters in the world today".
There are huge scope for IT and CS students due to fast growing of IT industries. Ample career options are available in the field of software engineering.
Plenty of jobs are available in a software companies for software engineers. There is also a need of software engineers in public sector. After gaining good experience you can start your own software firm. You can also work as a freelancer.
Software engineers can also choose their profession in teaching.
You can also work in Public & private sector banks, school and colleges & financial institutions.
As a Software Engineer, you can also run consultancy to develop & repair software as per the requirements of the clients.
There is lots of scope for software engineers.
Duties of Software Engineers
- Work in a team of developers in several projects.
- Develop well-optimized and efficient source code for the latest software applications.
- Produce software tools and amalgamate it to a fully functional software system.
- Maintain and test software to ensure that it is working properly.
- Software Engineering Tools
- Software Development Process
- Software Testing
- Software Design
- Software Maintenance
- Software Quality
- Software Development
- Software Configuration Management
- Software Engineering Management
Skills and Competencies needed in Software Engineering
- Positive Attitude.
- Supreme Communication Skills.
- Great at Time and Task Management.
- Quick Learning Ability.
- Deep and Broad Technical Experience.
- A Good Team Player.
- High End User Focus.
- The ability to develop and interpret technical plans
- A creative approach to problem solving
- An excellent understanding of CASE (Computer Aided Software Engineering) tools
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A good understanding of customer care
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good team working abilities
- The ability to explain complicated processes in non-technical language
- Good project management skills
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- The ability to thrive under pressure
- An awareness and respect for confidentiality and data protection issues
- The ability to concentrate for long periods of time
- Good manual dexterity
- Good eyesight
Job Options for Software Enginnering Graduates
- Software Developer
- Software Executives
- Software Designers
- Software Programmers
- System Designer
- Project Manager
- Information Systems Manager
Admission Requirements for the study of Software Engineering in Nigeria
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Software Engineering under the Faculty of Engineering, Environment & Technology in the above Universities include;
Maths, Economics and any one of Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Geography
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Software Engineering;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes in Mathematics, English Language and three other Science subjects.