Zoology (/zuːˈɒlədʒi, zoʊˈɒlədʒi/) or animal biology is the branch of biology that studies the animal kingdom, including the structure, embryology, evolution, classification, habits, and distribution of all animals, both living and extinct, and how they interact with their ecosystems. The term is derived from Ancient Greek ζῷον, zōion, i.e. "animal" and λόγος, logos, i.e. "knowledge, study".
A zoo (short for zoological garden or zoological park and also called an animal park or menagerie) is a facility in which animals are housed within enclosures, displayed to the public, and in which they may also breed.
Scope of Zoology
Study of Zoology is great importance to man. It has helped man to recognize the living things and to adapt himself according to the environment.
The students of Zoology can learn about animals and Zoological principles which may help them for proper maintenance of life.
Zoologist acquires the power to evaluate the nature which is not possible by the other means.
Key skills for Zoologist
- Communication skills. Zoologists and wildlife biologists write scientific papers and give talks to the public, policy makers, and academics.
- Critical-thinking skills. ...
- Emotional stamina and stability. ...
- Interpersonal skills. ...
- Observation skills. ...
- Outdoor skills. ...
- Problem-solving skills.
- Scientific skills
A Zoologist also needs:
- a keen interest in research and living animals.
- excellent oral and written communication skills.
- a logical approach to problem solving.
- good observation skills.
- to be able to perform precise work.
- to be able to work independently or as part of a team.
Career Opportunities and Job Prospects in Zoology
- Environmental consultant.
- Field trials officer.
- Marine scientist.
- Nature conservation officer.
- Physician associate.
- Research scientist (life sciences)
- Zoo Curator. ...
- Marine Mammal Trainer. ...
- Conservation. ...
- Wildlife Rehabilitator
JOB DUTIES OF ZOOLOGISTS
Examples of typical job duties for a zoologist are as follows:
- Monitoring wildlife health and creating recovery plans
- Communicating with the public by conducting field trips to point out scientific, historic and natural features of a park
- Setting up equipment to monitor and collect pollutants from sites, such as smoke stacks, manufacturing plants and mechanical equipment
- Conducting experimental studies indoors and outdoors
- Studying the origin, interrelationships, classification, life histories, diseases, development, genetics and distribution of organisms in basic research.
Admission Requirements for the study of Zoology in Nigeria
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Zoology;
Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology and two other science subject.
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Zoology under the Faculty of Sciences in the above Universities include;
» Biology and any two of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
SOME INSTITUTIONS WHERE YOU CAN STUDY ZOOLOGY
- • Abia State University • Achievers University • Adamawa State University • Afe Babalola University • Ahmadu Bello University • Akwa Ibom State University • Ambrose Alli University • Bauchi State University • Bayero University Kano • Benue State University • Bowen University • Covenant University • Crawford University • Delta State University • Ebonyi State University • Ekiti State University • Federal University Gusau • Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi • Federal University of Technology Minna • Federal University, Lafia • Federal University, Ndufu-alike • Gombe State university • Hallmark University • Hezekiah University • Igbinedion University • Imo State University • Joseph Ayo Babalola University • Kebbi State University of Science and Technology • kogi State University • Kwara State University • Lagos State University • Nasarawa State University • Nnamdi Azikiwe University • Obafemi Awolowo University • Ondo State University of Science and Technology • Osun State University • Paul University • SouthWestern University • Taraba State University • University of Calabar • University of Ibadan • University of Ilorin • University of Jos • University of Lagos • University of Maiduguri • University of Mkar • University of Nigeria • University of Port-Harcourt • University of Uyo • Usman Dan Fodio University • Western Delta University