Advertising is an audio or visual form of marketing communication that employs an openly sponsored, non-personal message to promote or sell a product, service or idea. Sponsors of advertising are typically businesses wishing to promote their products or services. Advertising is differentiated from public relations in that an advertiser pays for and has control over the message.
Advertising is a means of communication with the users of a product or service. Advertisements are messages paid for by those who send them and are intended to inform or influence people who receive them, as defined by the Advertising Association of the UK.
Scope of Advertising
The scope of Advertising is increasing everyday”
Advertising has a very wide scope in marketing and in the social system. The scope ofadvertising is described on the basis of activities included under advertising and their forms and systems, objectives and functions. These include the
Message—which has been discussed earlier.
Media—has also been discussed in detail.
Merchandise—It is the buying and selling of the product-advertisement covers the attributes of the product to be sold. The outstanding qualities of the product should be assessedand exposed with emphasis. New and existing products are advertized to popularise them. A firm is considered as an important source of advertising.
Advertising Functions: No product can be sold without some form of advertising.
Advertising creates demand.
- Promotes marketing system.
- Helps middleman.
- Builds image for the organisation.
- Makes customer aware of the price and attributes of the product leading to greatersales.
- Brings awareness in the masses.
- Consumer demand can be assessed by marketing researchers and advertising research.
- It helps in expanding the market.
- It helps the middleman to easily sell the product.
- It brings customers and sellers together.
- Advertisement is economical when targeted at the masses.
Skills and Competencies needed in Advertising
- Creativity- The more creative you are, the easier you will find your advertising career no matter what your speciality in the field is. Whether you are creating content or advertising on social media, creativity needs to be part of your work. Advertising is mainly taking a new, unique approach to an old product or service.
- People Skills- Advertising or any other form of marketing is all about interacting with and influencing people, so you will need some pretty sharp people skills to be a successful advertiser. You will need to work with a client base that may be highly demanding, which makes it a high-stress job even if you have excellent people skills. Good communication skills, showing empathy and showing a genuine interest in others are essential requirements to creating working relationships.
- Problem Solving- Advertising is one complex puzzle that truly has no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answers, but there are many possible solutions. With the right problem-solving skills, you will be able to come up with an appropriate solution to any dilemma presented, and you need to do it quick. This can help you produce the most effective advertising campaigns possible.
- Money Management- You will almost certainly have a strict advertising budget, and you will need to know how to operate within that budget to succeed. Learning how to manage the money you are given for advertising campaigns effectively can help you maximise your resources and give you a better chance of achieving your marketing goals.
- Patience- Your marketing and advertising campaigns will always take time to elicit the desired response, and a patient advertiser has a greater chance of success. Don’t forget you will make lots of mistakes before you close that first deal or get the attention of your target audience. Results can take time, and you might launch some great ads, but you need to have the patience to wait and see what happens.
- Decision Making- You’re going to have to make judgment calls based on what your ‘gut’ tells you is right or wrong. This means that you will need to consider the costs and benefits of your actions, with the goal of trying to select what you think to be the most appropriate action to ensure the success of your advertising. Successful decision making is the balance between creativity and logic, and the use of both allows you to make effective choices.
- Persuasion- Advertising is all about persuading other people to think the way you want them to. It’s also about making them realise that they need the product you are selling even though they already have a similar one at home. The easier it’s for you to convince them to share your opinion, the more successful you will be in the world of advertising.
- Time Management- If you can’t manage your own time – and other people’s time – you will never make those critical deadlines to get the job done. Organisational skills are of vital importance for any job, but when it comes to advertising, there will be some deadlines you need to meet and some important conferences with clients to attend.
- Listening- Advertising experts say that listening is one the most powerful skills you can have. To understand what people want and present them with the best product or service, you need to be able to listen and understand what they are telling you. Active listening skills are a must for anyone interested in working in advertising because it ensures that you answer to your audience’s needs.
- Personal Mastery Skills
- Media Skills
- Marketing Skills
- Project Management Skills for Advertising
- Communication Skills for Advertising
- Creative Skills for Advertising
Career Opportunities and Job Prospects for Advertising Graduates
- Advertising, Promotions and Marketing Manager
- Advertising Sales Representative
- Film and Video Editor
- Graphic Designer
- Market Research Analyst
- Convention Planners
- Production coordinator
- Art director
- Event planner
- Marketing coordinator
- Creative director
- Graphic designer
- Account executive
- Marketing manager
- Communication consultant
- Account coordinator
- Program coordinator
- Media buyer
- Product manager
- Program manager
- Web designer
- Campaign manager
- Media planner
- Sales representative
- Research director
Admission Requirements for the study of Advertising in Nigeria
Subject Combination / JAMB UTME Requirements
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Advertising under the Faculty of Administration in the above Universities include;
Government, Economics and any other subject.
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Advertising;
You require; Five SSCE credits to include English Language, Economics and Government. For NBC holders, the other relevant subjects could be from any of the following: Accounting, Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Office Practice and Secretarial Duties.