Architectural technology, or building technology, is the application of technology to the design of buildings. It is a component of architecture and building engineering and is sometimes viewed as a distinct discipline or sub-category. New materials and technologies generated new design challenges and construction methods throughout the evolution of building, especially since the advent of industrialisation in the 19th century. Architectural technology is related to the different elements of a building and their interactions, and is closely aligned with advances in building science.
Architectural technology can be summarised as the "technical design and expertise used in the application and integration of construction technologies in the building design process." or as "The ability to analyse, synthesise and evaluate building design factors in order to produce efficient and effective technical design solutions which satisfy performance, production and procurement criteria.
Career Scope of Building Technology
The study of building technology covers the planning for the creation of residential or commercial properties, as well as structures. A career in building technology as a construction worker can be learned through obtaining certificates from community colleges or trade schools and on-the-job training or an apprenticeship. Architects and civil engineers also work in the building technology industry, and are required to have a bachelor's degree in their field. Architects and civil engineers must also be licensed. Building technology is a vast industry that offers an assortment of career opportunities with varying degrees of training and education requirements. These careers are best suited for people who have an interest in construction, architecture, design and engineering.
Building and construction is a rapidly growing sector and there is vast scope of employment in this sector. If you decide to specialize in this line, here are some of the career options that you will have:
- You can work as a construction planning engineer and a site engineer in any construction projects. Such projects can range from residential buildings, cooperatives, huge housing projects, commercial buildings, hospitals, roads and railways.
- You can decide to specialize in certain area of construction. For example, you can decide to work as tunnel engineer or railways engineer.
- Since this requires a detailed idea of all requirements of construction, you can also get a job as supply chain manager or project supervisor.
- Finally, you can work with an architect to act as the chief engineer in any large construction project.
Skills and Competencies needed to be successful in Building Technology
To be successful as a Building Technologist you should be familiar with these;
- Architectural Stonemasonry
- Concrete Construction Work
- Electrical Installations
- Landscape Gardening
- Painting and Decorating
- Plastering and Drywall Systems
- Plumbing and Heating
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Wall and Floor Tiling
- Analytical skills
- Good oral and written communication
- Drawing skills
- Ability to work as a group
Career Opportunities and Job Prospects in Building Technology
- Building control surveyor
- Building services engineer
- Building surveyor
- Construction manager
- Facilities manager
- Quantity surveyor
- Site engineer
- Sustainability consultant
- Architectural technologist
- Further education teacher
- Logistics and distribution manager
- Management consultant
- Planning and development surveyor
- Town planner
Admission Requirements for the study of Building Technology in Nigeria
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Building;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry and any one of Geography, Economics, Arts and Technical drawing. For holders of NTC, the other relevant subjects could be Intro. to Building Construction, Bricklaying, Concreting, Walls, Floors and Ceiling Finishing, Building/Engineering Drawing, Joinery, Carpentry, Gas, Steam Work and Bronze Welding, Cold/Hot Water Supply, Sanitation and Drainage.
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Building under the Faculty of Engineering, Environment & Technology in the above Universities include;
Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry