Secretarial studies refers to the range of courses that will equip you with the key skills and core competencies needed to work as a secretary and office manager.
The course provides the business world with multi-skilled knowledge workers who manage information efficiently, equipped with a comprehensive range of skills including managerial, technological (substantial computer applications) and communication skills.
Here are a few reasons why you might choose to study a secretarial course:
- It can prepare you for a career as a secretary or administrative assistant.
- It can equip you with skills that are relevant to other disciplines (or to other aspects of your life).
- It can teach you skills that will be valuable if you ever decide to start your own business.
- Secretarial skills are in demand all over the world.
- It can help you to get a foot in the door in the job market.
- It can enhance your CV.
- It can show current or prospective employers that you are serious about your studies and your career.
What does a secretary do?
Before you can decide whether studying secretarial courses is right for you, you need to know what type of work a secretary does. A secretary’s tasks may differ depending on the company for which he or she works, as well as on the industry and environment in which he or she is employed. However, there are a number of tasks that are relevant to the majority of secretarial jobs:
Common secretarial tasks include:
- Maintaining records and files
- Keeping the office tidy
- Answering phones
- Taking messages
- Typing letters
- Welcoming clients
- Maintaining websites
- Managing petty cash
- Managing diaries and making appointments
- Booking rooms and travel arrangements
- Preparing and distributing papers and documents for meetings
- Taking minutes
- Dealing with post
- Drafting letters and other documents, such as PowerPoint presentations
- Maintaining filing systems
- Answering the phone and answering queries
- Photocopying and printing
- Using various computer packages - Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Making travel arrangements
- Organising paperwork
Scope of Secretarial Studies
You may be wondering whether studying secretarial courses will be of any direct benefit to your career. The answer depends, at least partially, on the course that you choose, as well as on how far you decide to go with your studies. However, the skills that you can acquire by doing a secretarial course will always be of value to you, no matter what career path you choose to pursue in the future.
Administrative skills will come in handy if you want to open your own business, or even if you want to establish a career for yourself in the corporate world.
If you study a secretarial course, and later decide that a career as a secretary is not for you, you can still use your knowledge and skills to get a foot in the door. Once you have secured your first job, you may be able to work your way up through the ranks of an organisation by working hard, establishing sound business relationships, and studying further in the direction of your choice.
Skills and Competencies you can learn in Secretarial Studies
- Effective Typing skills
- Personnel management
- Business communication skill
- Analytical skills
- Good Record keeping skill
- Good Filing skills
- Good organisation skills
- Good time management
- Good communications skills, written and verbal
- Confidence with IT and computer packages
- Accuracy and good attention to detail
- An ability to stay calm and tactful under pressure
- Self motivation
- A bright and positive attitude
- Problem solving
- Secretarial skills
- Administrative skills
- Shorthand skills
Career Opportunities and Job Options in Secretarial Studies
- Administrative Assistant/Secretary
- Executive Secretary
- File Clerk
- General Clerk
- Legal Secretary
- Medical Secretary
- Personnel manager
- Admin Manager
- IT manager
- Confidential secretary. Plus much more........................
Admission Requirements for the study of Secetarial Studies in Nigeria
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Secretarial Studies under the Faculty of Social & Management Sciences in the above Universities include;
Any three of:
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Secretarial Studies;
- English Language (not Literature in English),
and any three subjects from the following:
- Business Methods,
- Principles of Accounts,
- Literature in English,
- Office Practice,
- Biology/Agricultural Science,
SOME INSTITUTIONS WHERE YOU CAN STUDY SECRETARIAL STUDIES
- • Abdul-gusau Polytechnic • Abia State Polytechnic • Abraham Adesanya Polytechnic • Adamawa State Polytechnic • Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic • Auchi Polytechnic • Delta state Polytechnic • Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti • Federal Polytechnic, Bali • Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi • Federal Polytechnic, Bida • Federal Polytechnic, Birnin-Kebbi • Federal Polytechnic, Damaturu • Federal Polytechnic, Ede • Federal Polytechnic, Idah • Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro • Federal Polytechnic, Kaura Namoda • Federal Polytechnic, Mubi) • Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa • Federal Polytechnic, Nekede • Federal Polytechnic, offa • Federal Polytechnic, Oko • Fidei Polytechnic, Gboko • Grace Polytechnic, Lagos • Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic • Imo State Polytechnic • Institute of Management Technology, Enugu • Kaduna Polytechnic • Kogi State Polytechnic • Kwara State Polytechnic • Lagos City Computer College, Lagos • Lagos State Polytechnic • Moshood Abiola Polytechnic • Niger State Polytechnic • Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic • Osun State Polytechnic • Our Saviour Institute of Science, Agriculture & Technology • Ramat Polytechnic • Rufus Giwa Polytechnic • The Polytechnic, Ibadan • The Polytechnic, Ile-Ife • Yaba College of Technology