Computer science is the study of the theory, experimentation, and engineering that form the basics for the design and use of computers. It is the scientific and practical approach to computation and its applications and the systematic study of the feasibility, structure, expression, and mechanization of the methodical procedures (or algorithms) that underlie the acquisition, representation, processing, storage, communication of, and access to information. An alternate, more succinct definition of computer science is the study of automating algorithmic processes that scale. A computer scientist specializes in the theory of computation and the design of computational systems.
Scope of Computer Science
Computer Science drive the world and has become an indispensable part of human civilization. For every learned individual, it is an asset for the knowledge economy. Computer Science not only grooms research scientists who have passion for invention and novel design of new technology and explore new vistas for the use of existing technology. Prospective computer scientists are supervised and guided by experts to study and solve complex problems in computing in all walks of human endeavour especially in business, science, medicine, and education sector.
Skills and Competencies that You Need to Succeed in Computer Science
- Abstract and Formal Reasoning
- Advanced Quantitative Abilities
- Classifying / Systemizing
- Critical Thinking
- Designing Systems
- Knowledge of Operating Systems
- Logical Thinking
- Marketing concepts
- Mathematical Skills
- Organizing / Simplifying
- Programming Language Concepts
- Statistical Analysis
- Work independently and in teams
- Written and oral communication skills
Career Opportunities and Related Jobs in Computer Science
There has never been a more exciting time for Computer Science graduates in the country. There are various opportunities for computer science graduates. Computer Science graduates can today work as part of technical or development teams handling a series of computer based development work. They can also work alone as self employed professionals in web development, online systems improvement and software development.
Sectors or industries where computer science graduates can work;
– Tech Startups: The startup industry in the country may be still in the infant stage but opportunities for the right skilled candidates are opening up in areas such as programming, database management, network engineering and maintenance,designers etc. And with foreign investors quietly turning the attention on Nigerian startups (Startups like Iroko TV recently landed a $8 million funding earlier in the year) the funding which has been the major reasons behind the inability of startups to hire top talents may be about to change.
– ICT Education Organisations: As the need for wider knowledge and teaching of various computer and ICT applications grow knowledgeable graduates in any of the applications will get readily employed in the educational companies springing up in various parts of the country.
– Consulting: Consulting companies who handle the project management for a host of ICT and computerisation work for both government owned agencies and private organisations are also a good place to secure jobs as a computer science graduate if you have the right skills and knowledge.
– Banks and Financial Institutions: With the recent rush for more electronic and computerised banking and financial services system the opportunities for skilled computer scientists to manage the ict section of these financial institutions are on the increase.
– Manufacturing: Opportunities also abound for computer science graduates in the manufacturing sector as processes become more automated and streamlined.
– Services Industry: Hotels and many other services based businesses are moving towards making their processes quicker and more automated. Database management and several other computer science aspects have become even more used and important in the service business industry.
Some jobs a computer science graduate can do include:
- Applications Programmer
- Applied Science Technologist
- Artificial Intelligence Programmer
- Compensation/Benefits Admin
- Computer Consultant
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Facilities Manager
- Computer Installation & Test Specialist
- Computer Marketing/Sales Representative
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Scientist
- Computer-Aided Design Tech.
- Data Control Admin
- Data Processing Mgr
- Database Manager
- Information Scientist
- Inventory Control Specialist
- ISO 2000 Specialist
- Market Research Analyst
- Media Buyer
- Network Programmer
- Numerical Analyst
- Operations Research Analyst
- Rate Analyst
- Research Analyst
- Robotics Programmer
- Satellite Communications Specialist
- Software Development Specialist
- Software Engineer
- Software Support Specialist
- Systems Analyst
- Systems Engineer
- Systems Programmer
- Teacher: Science/Math/Computers
- Technical Support Rep.
- Technical Writer
Admission Requirements for the study of Computer Science in Nigeria
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Computer Science;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics plus two other science subjects
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Computer Science under the Faculty of Sciences in the above Universities include;
Mathematics, Physics and one of Biology, Chemistry, Agric Science, Economics and Geography
SOME INSTITUTIONS WHERE YOU CAN STUDY COMPUTER SCIENCE
- • Adamawa State University • Adekunle Ajasin University • Adeleke University • Afe Babalola University • Ahmadu Bello University • Ajayi Crowther University • Akwa Ibom State University • Al-Hikmah University • Al-Qalam University, Katsina • Ambrose Alli University • Anambra State University • Babcock University • Bauchi State University • Bayero University Kano • Baze University • Benson Idahosa University • Benue State University • Bowen University • Caleb University • Caritas University • Covenant University • Crescent University • Cross River State University of Technology • Ebonyi State University • Ekiti State University • Federal University Gashua • Federal University Gusau • Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi • Federal University of Petroleum Resource • Federal University of Technology Akure • Federal University of Technology, Owerri • Federal University, Birnin Kebbi • Federal University, Dutse • Federal University, Kashere • Federal University, Lafia • Federal University, Lokoja • Federal University, Ndufu-alike • Federal University, Oye-ekiti • Federal University, Wukari • Fountain University • Godfrey Okoye University • Gombe State university • Hallmark University • Hezekiah University • Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University • Imo State University • Jigawa State University • Joseph Ayo Babalola University • Kaduna State university • Kano University of Science and Technology • Kebbi State University of Science and Technology • Kings University • kogi State University • Kwara State University • Ladoke Akintola University of Technology • Lagos State University • Landmark University • Madonna University • Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike • Micheal and Cecilia Ibru University • Nasarawa State University • National Open University of Nigeria • Nigeria Turkish Nile University • Nigerian Defence Academy • Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State • Nnamdi Azikiwe University • Northwest University, Kano • Novena University • Oduduwa University • Olabisi Onabanjo University • Ondo State University of Science and Technology • Osun State University • Paul University • Plateau State University • Redeemer's University • Renaissance University • Rhema University • Ritman University • Rivers State University of Science and Technology • Salem University • Sokoto State University • SouthWestern University • Summit University, Offa • Tai Solarin University of Education • Tansian University • Umaru Musa Yar'adua University • University of Abuja • University of Agriculture, Abeokuta • University of Benin • University of Calabar • University of Ibadan • University of Ilorin • University of Jos • University of Lagos • University of Mkar • University of Nigeria • University of Port-Harcourt • University of Uyo • Usman Dan Fodio University • Wellspring University • Wesley University of Science and Technology • Western Delta University • Yobe State University