Applied physics is physics which is intended for a particular technological or practical use. It is usually considered as a bridge or a connection between physics and engineering.
"Applied" is distinguished from "pure" by a subtle combination of factors such as the motivation and attitude of researchers and the nature of the relationship to the technology or science that may be affected by the work. Applied Physics is rooted in the fundamental truths and basic concepts of the physical sciences but is concerned with the utilization of scientific principles in practical devices and systems, and in the application of physics in other areas of science.
Scope of Applied Physics
Applied physics is the application of the science of physics to helping human beings and solving their problems. It differs from engineering because engineers solve well-defined problems. Applied physicists use physics or conduct physics research to develop new technologies or solve engineering problems.
Applied Physics, is a result obtained by combining theoretical concepts of a particular subject with its practical implementations.
Skills and Competencies needed in Applied Physics
Become familiar with statistical languages
PROBLEM SOLVING AND CRITICAL ANALYSIS
- Develop critical observations and attention to detail
- Make critical decisions under stressful situations
- Analyze complez textual and cultural phenomenon
- Justify actions or statements by referring to statistical concepts and processes
- Apply different strategies to work out a solution
- Problem solving skills; defining problems and developing research models
- Acquire a solid physics background with the applied aspects of physics that is necessary for careers in high technology industries
- Gain strong experimental and/or theoretical and/or calculation skills
- Compile and prepare research, technical and non-technical reports
- Develop and use scientific software to support research endeavors
- Approach topics and problems from various perspectivies
- Analyze dimensions of a problem
- Utilize the appropriate mathematical formulas to perform calculations
RESEARCH AND INFORMATION GATHERING
- Collect, analyze and interpret data using the appropriate laboratory and/or field techniques
- Conduct and clearly explain scientific research results
- Design experiments and conduct studues
- Organize ideas and materials in an effective way
- Design, plan, organize and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe
- Organize, analyze and interpret scientific data
Admission Requirements for the study of Applied Physics in Nigeria
The O'level subject combination and requirements needed to study Pure / Applied Physics;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and any other Science subject from Further mathematics and Biology or Agricultural Science.
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Pure / Applied Physics under the Faculty of Sciences in the above Universities include;
Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry or Biology.