The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Public Works, Youth and Women Employment Component of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Program (SURE-P) established the GIS, which aims to provide the unemployed graduates youths with job apprenticeship opportunities that will expose them to skills and experiences relevant to the current labour market and enhance their employability.
The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) is located in the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF) and it has been established to have the overall responsibility for the day-to-day project management of the Public Works, Youth and Women Employment (PW/WYE) Component of the SURE – P.
One of the most critical and significant social and economic change requirements for Nigeria today is Youth empowerment. Youth unemployment has been reported to be as high as 35% especially among the 18-24 year olds. In recognition of the potential contribution that youth can make to our national development, and the corresponding disruption of development that could ensue if this potential is not properly harnessed, is the reason for which this project has been initiated as part of SURE-P.
Public Works, Youth and Women Employment (PW/WYE) Component of the SURE – P which the GIS falls under invites applications from Nigerian graduates to register for Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS).
Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS)
GIS seeks to create opportunity for eligible graduate youths to be placed as interns in reputable public/private sector firms to enhance building the manpower requirement to drive the Nation’s Transformation Agenda and Vision 20:2020.
The Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) will employ 50,000 youth across the country to ensure that their skills have been developed towards empowering them to be employable in the short/medium/long term. GIS will ensure that youths are attached as apprentices in reputable public/private firms for a period of one year where the skills of such individuals will be sharpened.
In view of the above, the Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) is established as part of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE – P) and it will employ 50,000 youth across the country to ensure that their skills have been developed towards empowering them to be employable in the short/medium/long term. GIS will ensure that youths are attached as apprentices in reputable public/private firms for a period of one year where the skills of such individuals will be sharpened as well as boosttheir chances of becoming self employed. While the GIS is designed as a short-term measure, it has high prospects for job creation. The specific objectives of the program are:
- To enhance the employability of up to 50,000 unemployed graduates in the 36 states of the Federation and the FCT through internship programs in pre-selected institutions; and
- To reduce the vulnerability of unemployed graduates.
- To build manpower base towards attaining national development operations.
Note: During this period the Federal Government of Nigeria will be responsible for paying a monthly stipend to the graduate interns. The participating institution will be expected to provide adequate opportunities for training and mentoring the interns.
Benefits to interns:
- Provide interns with skills and information required to enter into work.
- Youth empowered to prepare to work for themselves or create jobs for others.
- Acquiring skill will protect youth from demand and supply shocks.
- Opportunity to sharpen their skills and enhance employability.
- Opportunity to build new networks and professional contacts.
To register as a graduate for this scheme you MUST:
- Be a citizen of Nigeria (must provide a valid ID)
- Be between ages 18 – 40 years (must provide birth certificate)
- Have completed the mandatory NYSC or exempted.
- Be holder of a degree equivalent (e.g. BSc, BEng, BA, HND etc.) certificate or higher qualification.
- Have a recent passport type photo ready to be uploaded during online registration. Please note size of image must not exceed 99kb.
- Complete the online registration form.
- Make available ALL original documents for sighting at point of selection.
Internship Position Posting
Intern Positions posted must:
- Be legitimate positions available on the stated timescale.
- Be suitable work for a Graduate.
- Not require the Graduate to undertake work that is illegal or unsafe.
- Meet standard safety regulations/facilities.
- Be able to provide at least 12 months of skills development.
- Be able to provide a mentoring plan to guide skills development.
Applying for Work
When applying for positions as a Graduate you must:
- Be available to work at the chosen business and location.
- Be willing to undertake a full 12 month placement; and
- Be prepared to comply with the employers’ safety and employment practices.
Payment of Interns
Payment of Intern will be undertaken directly by the PW/WYE PIU to the Graduate Intern.
Neither the Graduate nor the Employer are required to pay any fee for using the Graduate Intern Scheme service, and no fees, charges or commissions are to be paid to any party in relation to this scheme by the Graduate or the Employer.