The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter/NFI sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a Finance Assistant in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Job Title: Finance Assistant
The Finance Assistant reports to the Finance Officer.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbook and guidelines.
- Ensure proper filling of document
- Take day to day responsibility of managing cheque payments.
- Take day to day responsibility of managing petty cash and cash box
- Maintain up to date records, project accounts on the system to ensure that timely, accurate and appropriate information is available and reported.
- Preparation of payment vouchers for cash and cheques and ensure timely settlement of all undisputed invoices.
- Facilitate and assist finance Officer to perform cash and bank reconciliation.
- Ensure an effective filling system such that the files are updated, complete and safe guarded.
- Assist Finance Officer to prepare and develop reports as required by management
- Establish good and considerate working relationship with all staff within the programs, demonstrating respect for their own roles and responsibilities
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before the financial transaction is done.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly and periodic cash count is done
- Assist Finance Officer in tracking advance and ensure that clearance of advance is done on time.
- Any other duties that may arise to support NRC’s goals and objectives