Mott MacDonald - DEEPEN is a UK government-funded programme designed to improve the quality of education in private schools in Nigeria.
The programme will support low-cost schools in particular and is initially focused on the private school market in Lagos.
Working across the Results and Learning and technical teams, the Communications Officer will support all communication aspects of programme interventions and implement a strategy to effectively disseminate important information and key findings from the programme to both Nigerian and international audiences.
Job Title: Communications Officer
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- All aspects of the programme’s communications activities and strategy, working across the Results and Learning and technical teams as required.
- Work with the senior management team to develop and implement an effective communications strategy for the programme,
- Proactively engage with all members of the technical team on a regular basis to understand their current/planned activities in detail and identify their communication needs
- Identify and highlight any political and/or commercial sensitivities arising from programme interventions and/or communications
- Consider and promote the sustainability of communications
- Support the delivery of inputs to key events such as conferences and presentations, including preparing presentations and exhibition materials;
- Advise and support the technical team on any online media communications issues regarding the programme interventions;Communications, Publications and Branding
- The development and delivery of all communications activities regarding the programme including advocacy, campaigns, newsletters, leaflets, policy briefs, fact sheets, case studies, booklets etc., and the development and maintenance of the DEEPEN’s website;
- Ensure that all written materials are drafted in a concise manner, plain English and appropriately worded for the relevant audience, and the material presented in attractive, creative and compelling format
- The effective communication and promotion of ambition, activities and achievements to diverse external audiences locally, nationally and internationally using various appropriate public relations strategies and media tools;
- Ensure that all relevant documentation and published outputs are produced to agreed formats (whether guided by DFID requirements or Cambridge Education Nigeria Limited (CENL) or programme ‘house style’) and where applicable, disseminated to the target audience in a relevant and timely manner;
- Manage the production of DEEPEN’s publicity material, documentation, video and audio and ensure quality assurance standards are adhered to;
- Manage the programme brand by developing and driving strategies to ensure the effective delivery of the set objectives of the programme by ensuring that the brand is properly represented to all stakeholders;
- Proactively identify opportunities for strengthening the brand and providing the necessary support for acting in all such developments;
- Maintain, update and oversee the programme resource centre (website) and social media channels and accounts;
- Guide and supervise external communications, including reviewing, checking and quality assuring external communications before issue/dissemination;
- Liaise with the Monitoring Officer to monitor and measure the impact of programme communications and their value for money
- Liaise with DFID, and its Results Adviser and Communications Advisor in particular, to ensure consistent and agreed communications;
- Provide support to DFID and in conjunction with other state level programmes in the production of the DFID at Work publication;
- Liaise with editors and designers on the final layout of any leaflets and/or booklets;
- Liaise with printers, prepare print specifications and ensure that only quality products are accepted and issued;
- Knowledge Management
- Oversee the programme’s knowledge management activities in accordance with CENL’s current best practices;
- Produce regular reports, containing rolling work plans and costed budgets
- Participate in regular update meetings
- Assist the Education Data, Research and Evaluation in Nigeria (EDOREN) programme and/or DFID (as appropriate) on DEEPEN’s statutory and/or annual reviews;
- Ensure that communications address the disaggregated areas of gender and poverty (household income level) wherever possible to communicate the programme’s impact on girls and low-income families specifically;
- Develop effective and professional relationships with key stakeholders