The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
DRC has opened a new country programme in Nigeria focusing on responding to the huge humanitarian
DRC operations was initially focus on Yola and Mubi in Adamawa State, and has opened base in Maiduguri, Borno State and from there DRC has focus on meeting the basic needs (protection, WASH, food security and shelter) of urban caseloads as well as supporting outreach to affected areas and displacement camps. DRC also maintains a representational office in Abuja and a larger coordination and field based implementation office in Yola, Adamawa State. DRC is also currently assessing the possibility of operationalizing a hub in Yobe State.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Procurement/Logistics Assistant
Reports to: Yola Logistics Officer
- Compliance procurement and equipment management of Yola office as defined in the Danish Refuegee Council’s Operations Handbook.
- Fleet management
- Stock Management.
- Under the supervision of the Logistics Officer, support staff travel to and from DRC Yola office.
- Manage the day to day administrative work including filing systems, etc.
Upon the request of line manager, the logistics Assistant is to:
- Undertake local purchasing in accordance with DRC’s Procurement Policy and Operations Handbook standards.
- Ensure goods purchased are in accordance with specified requirements and match given specifications.
- Negotiate for favourable terms for purchase, e.g. discounts and credit, and follow up with the Finance Department to ensure that payments are made to the suppliers promptly.
- Ensure goods purchased are delivered to the appropriate location and/or person(s) in a timely manner, providing continuous feedback to the Procurement and Logistics Manager.
Staff reporting to this post:
Professional travels as per need and request of line Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
- As an integral staff member of the Danish Refugee Council, the Logistics Assistant will provide support to the programme by undertaking technical and practical operational tasks to ensure smooth, safe and efficient operation of logistical activities.
- The post holder will support the Yola head of base when it comes to operations.
- Ensure vehicle/s are properly cleaned, road worthy and utilized as per the organization’s polices and maintain documentations.
- Ensure that the allocation of vehicle/s and driver/s is done in an effective manner, in response to authorized transportation requests.
- Ensure issues related to maintenance are reported immediately to the Head of base or to the Logistics and Procurement Manager and to owner of the vehicle if hired.
- Ensure copies of all Logbooks, Maintenance Reports, Fuel Reports and Mileage Reports exist in appropriate files for each month and all data are captured and reported.
The logistics Assistant is expected to:
- Maintain the records of Assets, Equipment for Yola office in line with the Assets recording system for the country programme.
- Ensure that the assets that are issued to staff are authorized, recorded and necessary paper work exists as per the DRC policy.
- Ensure that all assets are properly maintained and looked after. Any misuse and abuse is reported to the Logistics Manager and to the Yola head of base.
Inventories and Stock Management:
Assist the logistics officer in stock manager in:
- Ensure that all stock items are properly stored and correctly recorded as per the guidelines and the warehouse/stores in Yola are well maintained.
- Ensure that the movement of inventories To or From the warehouse & stores are correctly documented; authorized and paper work is done as per procedures.
- Inform the relevant Programme staff/managers upon the receipts and dispatches and coordinate with them, as it may be necessary. Allow requesters inspection of items upon delivery.
- Ensure stock movement documentations are updated and stock reports are produced on time.
- Ensure stocks Reports are circulated to all sector Managers biweekly or on monthly basis and per request.
- Support distributions of NFIs as required.
Power Systems Management:
- Ensure all power generation equipment, electric appliances and power systems are well maintained
- Ensure issues related to power systems are timely reported and solutions are sought under the guidance of the Logistics Manager.
- Monthly reports of use and maintenance are produced and submitted to the Logistics Manager.
- Arrange for transportation of goods as required and ensure accurate documentation maintained.
- Arrange for the distribution of programme supplies as per plan and coordinate with programme teams.
- Ensure safe transportation of programme mail pouches to the field offices and the relevant procedures are adhered to by the drivers and mail carriers.
General Work and Filing:
- Implement standard DRC logistics systems and procedures
- Ensure health and safety policy is implemented and matters related to are reported to the designated responsible manager.
- Ensure all paper work is kept according to DRC’s policies and procedures of and filed neatly with supporting documents in respective files.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties requested by line manager, where they do contradict the organization’s policies.