The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Personal Assistant to the Deputy High Commissioner and IT Support Officer (ITSO)
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Political
Main Purpose of Job
- This is an interesting and varied job working in the Executive Office in the heart of the British High Commission.
- The main focus is on providing an excellent level of administrative support to the Deputy High Commissioner and the wider Political section of the High Commission, collaboration with the High Commissioner’s PA over the collective output of the HC and DHC, ensuring the smooth running of the diplomatic bag service, and IT support on the Commission’s Official-Sensitive tier.
- The job also includes management of two members of staff.
Roles and Responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve
PA to Deputy High Commissioner:
- Managing the Deputy High Commissioner’s diary and daily itinerary
- Managing DHC’s inbox, sending messages and emails on behalf of the Deputy High Commissioner
- Receiving, dealing with and prioritising meeting requests from both internal and external stakeholders
- Receiving official correspondence and drafting replies
- Recording meetings and drafting minutes
- Preparing briefing notes and packs for meetings
- Planning and organising receptions and dinners hosted by the Deputy High Commissioner
Wider Executive Office Tasks:
- Collaborating with the High Commissioner’s EA to manage the combined activity and output of the HC and DHC, including diary coordination, internal communications and liaising with Residence Manager
- Support EA/HC during busy periods
- Covering for EA during leave absence
Diplomatic bags and customs clearance:
- Sending and receiving UK and Lagos diplomatic bags
- Sorting and distributing UK diplomatic bags
- Arranging all pre clearance paperwork for diplomatic bags
- Provide technical IT support to staff on the restricted and confidential tier (IT training provided)
Political Section/General support:
- Providing general support to the political team as well as other teams in Chancery
- Drafting official Notes Verbales to Government institution
- Assist with setting up calls, meetings and events when required
- Manage Chancery reception area and two receptionists
- Ensuring smooth running of Chancery transport pool and booking systems with the Receptionists
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Manage 2 x part-time A1(L) Chancery Receptionists.
- Oversee the DHC’s entertainment and travel budgets.