African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title:Principal Research Economist - EDRE.1
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (CE/VP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The CE/VP is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The CE/VP will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The AfDB’s Development Research Department activities consist in devising and undertaking a program of research and analysis on priority social and economic development issues that support the Bank's policy and operations agenda. It comprises about 25 researchers in two Divisions.
- The Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division (EDRE.1) focuses on issues related to development finance, private sector development and regional integration; and has, among other research activities, the mandate to assess private sector and regional operations using the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) framework.
- The Division is seeking to strengthen its team of analysts by recruiting a Principal Research Economist with expertise in the areas of economics, finance and private sector development as well as other development issues relevant for Africa.
- The Position
- By filling this position the Research Division is intending to consolidate its contribution to the implementation of Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy and foster the relevance of the Research Department to operations and member countries, through:
- Enhancing the operational effectiveness of the Bank, by improving quality-at-entry of the Bank’s operations through the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA).
- Strengthening the Bank Results Framework
- Consolidating the implementation of the Research Department agenda in accordance to the High 5s (Bank’s 5 Priority areas), through the production of the Bank’s flagship publications, working papers, market studies and impact evaluation exercises.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Director and direct supervision of the Manager, the incumbent’s Duties and Responsibilities will be as follows:
- Undertake Ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) of Bank’s operations:
- Conduct ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) of the African Development Bank Private Sector Operations, Regional Operations, and any other type of operation as required by the management.
- Quality assurance: Review other team members’ ADOA notes and supervise the work of junior staff.
- Carry out any revisions to the ADOA framework on the basis of implementation experience and lessons from other Development Finance institutions.
- Conduct research in the areas supporting the Bank’s High 5s (High priority areas: Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration) and Improve quality of live for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)). This includes also strengthening knowledge generation in the area of inclusive and green growth, including financial inclusion in particular.
- Provide inputs into the production of the Bank’s flagship publications:
- Contribute to the preparation of the report or assigned section, write such sections and follow it through with peer reviews and publication.
- Disseminate the findings of reports.
- Provide technical and analytical inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
- Provide input into Country Strategy Papers (CSPs).
- Participate in Economic Sector Works (ESW).
- Peer review project, program, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
- Contribute to Bank Economic Intelligence documents:
- Provide economic intelligence (statement, policy briefs) to Senior Management on economic development issues.
- Provide professional inputs in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series " and the Bank’s "African Development Review":
- Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
- Participate in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers and universities.
- Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.