The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC has recently started up with emergency activities in the area of Food Security, Water and Sanitation, Shelter and ICLA sectors in Nigeria in order to respond to the urgent humanitarian needs in the northeast.
In the coming year, one of NRC’ main focus will be to provide the displacement affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local host communities including IDP camps in Borno State and the north-east with adequate WaSH, Food Security, Shelter, ICLA amongst other durable solutions. NRC is therefore seeking a Project Officer - WaSH Technical in NRC Field Office in Maiduguri - Nigeria. The Project Officer WaSH Technical reports to the Project Coordinator - WASH, Nigeria.
Job Title:Project Officer - WaSH
- Adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines, policies and procedures and other NRC tools and handbooks;
- Coordinate the Hygiene promotion (HP) and community mobilization (CM) activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assists the WASH Project Coordinator in all aspects of HP and CM programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Assists in the identification of communities/IDPs Hygiene promotion needs
- Develop tools and materials for HP and CM
- Assess the HP and CM needs of the communities/IDPs and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts a training session on HP and CM for the local Hygiene Promoters
- Working closely with the technical officer and Project Coordinator to assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- The Hygiene Promotion Officer is expected to achieve the following during this contract period.
- Ensuring beneficiaries selection for the Non-food Items (NFI) distribution
- Monitoring Hygiene Kits distribution within the communities
- Train hygiene promotors
- Preparing weekly progress reports and others documents required for NFI distribution
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly hygiene promotion reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Active participation on hygiene promotion and nutrition sector working group
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WASH Project Coordinator