Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity, or nationality. As CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, strengthening and building the capacity of partner organizations is fundamental to the work of CRS. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on health, vulnerable children, agriculture, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance Specialist (SFS)
Department: Global Fund (GF)
Reports to: Grant Manager
- Responsible for giving accurate and timely financial information to the Grant Manager. In addition, assist and collaborate with the Administration and Program departments on operational financial matters. S/he will act as Grant Manager whenever the Grant Manager is out of office.
- S/he will also review and analyze all the reports generated within the CRS GF finance department (Advance / Liquidation Status Report, Revaluation Report, National Staff Benefits Report, Bank Reconciliation Statements, Monthly Feedback from HQ Staff etc.) and make informed recommendations to the Grant Manager for improvement; develop relevant tools to research any elements of the Finance Department functions and make recommendations to management for improvement.
- The SFS will be specifically responsible for ensuring that the Internal Control System is in place to ensure that all the program’s assets are safeguarded.
a.) Financial Reporting:
- In collaboration with the Grant Manager, take the lead during monthly/annual financial reporting closure.
- Liaise with colleagues in the Grant Unit on deliverables required to meet month/year end closure timelines.
- Liaise with the Administration department on deliverables required to meet month end closure timelines, such as review of VMS report.
- Ensure monthly preparation of the balance sheet report/ageing report for presentation to Senior Management.
b.) Cash Management:
- Perform daily physical cash counts on cash-in-safe in line with the Agency’s policy and document all findings.
- Perform surprise/spot checks cash counts on cash-in-safe in line with the Agency’s policy and document all findings.
- Perform monthly receipt reconciliation/management process and document findings.
c.) Non-Grant Receivables and Payables Management:
- Monitor balances on the staff and vendors’ advances, and communicate to the Grant Manager on material exceptions to policies.
- Identify long outstanding receivables and follow up with the Grant Manager for corrective actions;
- Ensure that all payable accounts are kept at very minimal balance.
d.) Financial Information management:
- Ensure that all approved journal vouchers of the Agency (that is, for Finance and Grant units) are promptly and accurately posted into SUNsystem.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are supported with necessary documentations before upload into SUN system.
- Ensure regular review of the GF program’sgeneral ledger, trial balance and other mandatory reports and immediately draw the attention of the Grant Manager of any material exception.
- Ensure that the new cost allocation policy is properly implemented in line with the agency regulations.
e.) Payroll Management:
- Ensure monthly preparation of payroll.
- Ensure preparation of other benefit related reports such as time sheet exception reports.
f.) Internal Audit:
- Actively support HQ internal audit process.
- Actively support all other audit process.
g.) Other Duties:
- Assist in conducting training on financial matters to the CRS/Nigeria staff when necessary.
- Provide cover whenever the Grant Manager is not available in the office.
- Accomplish other tasks as requested by the Grant Manager or the CRS/Nigeria management.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: GF Finance Specialists and Officers, GF Grants Manager, administration staff, GF program staff, country program finance staff, HQ and CARO Region.
- External: Government agencies, CRS bankers, vendors, sub recipients
Agency Wide Competences (For all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning