RTI International is one of the world's leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 4000 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
RTI International is implementing a USAID funded Leadership, Advocacy, Empowerment, and Development (LEAD) project in Nigeria, a project aimed at improving governance and service delivery at the local government level. This project ends in September 2017. The position is open to residents of Nigeria only.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Manager
Job ID: 17625
Locations: Sokoto, Bauch
Department Marketing Statement
RTI’s Governance and Economic Development Division pursues innovative approaches and builds on best practices to create the foundation for and to promote democratic governance and economic development. Working alongside global partners, public institutions, the private sector, and civil society, we help build more effective, accountable, and responsive institutions and policies at the national, regional, and local levels of government.
We believe an integrated approach using cross-sectoral strategies - incorporating service delivery and the social sectors, such as health and education - achieve the best results. Our clients include U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), U.K.’s Department for International Development (DFID), World Bank, and the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
- The GED Division is currently accepting applications for State Managers for an anticipated USAID-funded State2State (S2S) activity in Sokoto, Bauchi, and up to 4 additional states in Northern Nigeria. The overall goal of S2S is to increase the effectiveness, accountability and transparency of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
- This will be achieved by strengthening systems to improve the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene - WASH); increasing the efficiency of key governance operations (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation); increasing government’s responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict.
- State2State builds on and expands the Mission’s currently ongoing “Leadership, Empowerment, Advocacy and Development” (LEAD, 2009-2017) activity, implemented by RTI.
- The State Manager reports to the Chief of Party at the head office and will have overall responsibility for implementing, monitoring and reporting on technical activities and managing human and financial resources in the assigned state.
- The State Manager will lead a dedicated team of development specialists to develop, implement and monitor the S2S work plan for their assigned State.
- Candidate should possess strong management, administrative and communication skills (including report writing). Positions will be based in partner states.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic leadership, technical and managerial direction for the successful implementation of the program in the assigned state.
- Responsible for the overall performance and results of the program in the partner state, including management and oversight of the program’s technical, operational, and administrative staff.
- Liaises regularly with program management team on management and decision-making.
- Ensures the timely completion of all technical and financial deliverables in accordance with USAID guidelines.
- Serves as RTI’s liaison with government counterparts, local organizations, and program partners in the target state. Ensures a high level of communication and close working relationships with the state counterparts.
- Act as the focal point for the state team with the project HQ. Organize meetings, conference calls and field trips to facilitate the involvement of the technical support team in program development planning and implementation.
- Track S2S program development and keep the HQ project managers apprised of progress and challenges.
- Develop weekly briefs for submission to the head office and monthly reports for inclusion in the quarterly report.