Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) - We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Petroleum Studies Department
- Within the Research Division, the Petroleum Studies Department provides pertinent and reliable information and analyses in support of decision-making and policy-making in Member Countries;
- Carries out, on a continuous basis, research programmes and studies on short-term petroleum market developments with the aim of issuing reports on a regular (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly and bi-monthly) as well as ad hoc basis highlighting important issues for their use and consideration;
- Conducts regular forecasts, elaborates and analyses oil market scenarios and prepares and publishes reports on these findings;
- Promotes OPEC views and technical analysis on short-term oil market developments to the industry at large and general public via the OPEC Monthly Oil Market Report (especially the feature article) as well as other reports, presentations and related pod casts and prepares and contributes to reports to be submitted to the ECB, the BOG and the MMSC as well as papers for various OPEC publications.
- Objective of Position
- The Head of Petroleum Studies Department is to plan, organise, coordinate, manage and evaluate the work of the Petroleum Studies Department in accordance with the work program and programmed budget of the Department so as to optimize its support to the Secretariat in achieving its overall objectives.
- The work covers short-term studies and analyses, as well as periodic reports on the international oil market, in particular oil supply and demand, stock, refinery products as well as petroleum trade and transport and economic analyses of oil price and related financial issues.
- Plans, organises, coordinates, manages and evaluates the work in the Petroleum Studies Department covering:
- World oil market developments in the short-term;
- Short-term forecasting, with particular attention to the impact of world economic and financial market developments;
- Oil supply and demand in the short-term;
- Oil stock movements;
- Oil prices, its volatility and fluctuation;
- Refinery operations and capacity development;
- Trade and transportation;
- Major oil companies’ operational performance and other determining factors of the oil market as well as crude oil/product markets assessments;
- Preparation of the periodic reports, in particular the Monthly Oil Market Report and Daily Oil Market Report.
- Develops and maintains adequate forecasting and modelling for oil market research.
- Ensures full responses to requests by the Conference, BOG, ECB and standing committees for studies and special reports relevant to the work program of the Department.
- Arranges presentations at relevant OPEC meetings and international forums representing the Secretariat as required.
- Develops and maintains networks with external experts and institutions in fields relating to the work of the Department.
- Keeps the Director of Research Division fully informed on all aspects of the work of the Department, and draws his attention to important analyses performed by it.
- Evaluates the performance of the staff of the Department and recommends to the Director of Research Division, staff development, salary increase, promotion and separations as appropriate.
- Ensures that the staff of the Department receive the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and continuously improve their performance.
- Prepares the annual budget for the Department.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned to him/her by the Director, Research Division.