Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Youth Empowered for Success (YES!) is a partnership with The Coca-Cola Africa Foundation, Kuza Biashara, and Harambee, which seeks to enhance employment for 25,000 young people in six African countries by 2018. Mercy Corps is the lead implementer in Kenya, Uganda, Liberia, Nigeria, and Tunisia. In Nigeria, the program seeks to link vulnerable youth in Lagos to entry-level employment, through training, skills validation, coaching and development of a pipeline of hiring private sector partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Coordinator - YES
General Position Summary
- The Program Coordinator will support the partner organization in Lagos in the implementation of activities that transition vulnerable youth into employment.
- This position will connect the partner to administrative functions in Mercy Corps as well as YES! leadership, coordinate monitoring, evaluation and learning, and support the program through development of relationships with government, NGOs, and private sector partners
Essential Job Functions
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget. Manage sub-grantee activities including budget, implementation and reporting
- Support partners to maintain compliance with Mercy Corps and donor systems, and coordinate closely with other YES! personnel to ensure smooth communications and all objectives of the proposal and activities are met.
- Leverage Mercy Corps’ relationships to identify Nigerian partners – government institutions, NGOs, vocational training/skills centers, or other replicators – to participate in YES! activities, and help to build those relationships.
- Support advocacy to employers committed to competency-based hiring and educators committed to competency-based education
- Provide backstopping support for partner activities as agreed with the partner.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- In collaboration with partner, maintain YES! M&E Database, support deployment of baseline/endline surveys.
- Support documentation of lessons learned, and coordinate learning activities in collaboration with the Results, Learning and Research Coordinator.
- Oversee program startup and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Develop partners’ MoUs and contracts & oversee a training program for program partners.
- Develop program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting and distribution process as well as WASH, psychosocial and capacity building of partners.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Organizational Learning :
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.