Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has worked in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Coordinator
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population in Borno.
- In response to the ongoing crisis, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking for a strong Nutrition Coordinator working to improve the quality of nutrition implementation on food security and nutrition programming.
- This position will require for one to provide an inclusive forum for sharing, adapting, refining, and disseminating information, methodologies, tools, and promising practices on nutrition for increasing the impact of food security programming.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide input into the design of nutrition program strategies and lead the implementation of nutrition activities.
- Provides technical advice for all nutrition-related projects and activities.
- Responsible for ensuring quality through staff capacity-strengthening, supportive supervision and monitoring.
- Provide hiring managers, program managers, and program staff with explanations of the basic skills and knowledge about nutrition that staff need to carry out their work effectively.
- Integrate nutrition within other program components, notably WASH and food security. Coordinate with other health teams to ensure complementary approaches,
- Supervise ongoing implementation of maternal and child health and nutrition promotion activities, ensuring quality control.
- Provide technical advice and support to facilitate learning related to nutrition social and behavior change communication programming.
- Monitor implementation of project activities and document best practice and success stories
- Participate on design teams for new projects and provide technical advice in the implementation and evaluation of nutrition activities.
- Facilitate Mercy Corps coordination with other nutrition sector agencies, including the sharing of nutrition materials and best practices through participating regularly in Nutrition Working Group / Cluster meetings.
- Participate in developing recommendations for new areas of nutrition research and programming, and promoting innovation in behavioral interventions and communication.
- Lead the preparation of technical communication pieces related to nutrition and present findings to relevant audiences.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Any other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.