Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
Job Title: Senior Logistics Coordinator
Job Ref: 1172
Reports to (Job Title): Programme Manager Humanitarian
- To be responsible for managing and leading the setup of all emergency response logistics functions and responsibilities and will manage the logistics staff.
- This role will report to the Project Manager Humanitarian and will support the Programme Manager Humanitarian on the best use of Christian Aid’s resources.
- The role will include logistics support to large and/or complex programmes, with a broad spread of programmes, staffing, thematic interventions, and complexity.
- As such, the role may include remote management, management of multiple field bases or direct line management of a large single project or function.
- The role will involve significant travels to Christian Aid project sites in Borno, Adamawa and Gombe States.
- The post-holder will learn lessons from each assignment to help improve future practice.
- Role is in the International programme role family. The post holder will directly manage and support the humanitarian work in Maiduguri, partner programmes and externally represent Christian Aid where appropriate. In addition the post holder will provide technical guidance and support to our staff and partners ensuring that logistics and procurements are carried out in accordance with Christian Aid’s and donor requirements.
- Management of all programme logistics in Christian Aid project areas - Borno, Adamawa and Gombe; implementing the country logistics policies and procedures for the management of the supply chain, including procurement, transport and distribution, warehousing and stock management, and for the management of vehicle fleets, communication systems, and assets.
- Establishing of minimum standards of logistics procedures in line with country policies and roll out of these standards, ensuring that the standards are adhered to by relevant staff as required
- Managing and supporting logistics staff including security guards and drivers, ensuring appropriate team structures, clear division of responsibilities, clear objectives, and management of performance
- Providing advice and support to Programme Manager Humanitarian on logistics issues, and collaborating with staff on budgets, technical aspects of the programme, and implementation mechanisms as required
- Where appropriate, be responsible for developing and implementing emergency preparedness strategies across the logistics aspects of the operation
- Providing logistics training and capacity building as required across the programme
- Ensuring implementation of the security protocols by the drivers and guards, as well as through procurement procedures and any other areas of work.
- External The role holder will have contact with vendors, donors, auditors, stakeholder at State and National levels.
- Internal The role holder will work closely with the humanitarian team in Maiduguri, closely liaising with Finanace, Administrative, Governance and Health teams in Abuja .
- Required to make significant decisions on programme work in the country informed by Christian Aid strategic focus group
- Significant decisions on procurement and logistics management in country
- Decisions are made in order to manage a team, coordinate logistics, procurements and day to day administration to ensure that the humanitarian work in Maiduguri is successfully managed
- Problems or issues need detailed information gathering, investigation and analysis including assessment of benefits and risks of different courses of action.
- Initiative and judgement needs to be applied regularly in the course of day-to-day work. Expected to make direct contribution to improved performance, whether through own area of work or participation in cross-disciplinary projects.
Developing self and others:
- May have formal responsibility for others including direct responsibility for performance management and developing plans to improve the performance of staff, volunteers or others; may have project management responsibility for directing work of others and taking responsibility for ensuring that work quality and professional standards are maintained.