Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
The Nigeria Country Offfice is currently recruiting for the Lake Chad Basin Response, in the capacity below:
Job Tile: WASH Coordinator
Purpose of the Position
- To provide strategic leadership and facilitate quality, gender-sensitive, accountable, and impact-focused emergency WaSH interventions in LCB NE humanitarian response, building on existing programming, as well as influencing policy and practice and representing Oxfam on WASH issues
Strategic Planning and Coordination:
- Define and shape strategic objectives and priorities for the WASH strategy and contribute to other strategies, involving collaboration with other programme units.
- Ensure that the strategy is informed by sound analysis, with consultations with teams and concerned stakeholders and are devised in promotion of Oxfam's values, culture
- Overall responsible and focal point together with other coordinators in the scale up response in newly accessible areas.
- Provide strategic advisory support, linking up Oxfam GHT advisors, UN and other agencies in the WaSH sector based in Maiduguri
- Ensure that “lessons learned” from the emergency interventions in NE Nigeria is conveyed to the department to influence future policies and planning.
- Explore and develop strategic partners contributing to quality and scaling up of programmes:
- Liaise with donors on WASH technical issues of the programme (as required)
- Advocate on programmatic options and link in with policy/advocacy team as required.
Project design and implementation:
- To continuously assess the context, and design/adapt the programme and team composition as required by the context, ensuring that operational plans take into consideration risks
- Ensure a high quality, multi-sectoral approach, aiming at reaching appropriate minimum SPHERE and internal technical standards, with a focus on quality and accountability.
- Work closely with TLs to agree on operational plan and share process guidelines and systems to be used in emergency WASH to ensure that quality objectives are met.
- Support the preparation/ inception of projects, including recruitment of key WASH staff and activity planning as required.
- Lead the team direct and remotely (as appropriate) on assessments, compiling the report and leading on analysis and response plans
- Develop guidelines and tools with teams for implementation, and also to ensure compliance with established guidelines and standards.
- Endeavour to ensure a good working relationship with support functions, procurement planning, preparing supply requisitions, distribution plans, staffing requests, budgets etc in a timely manner
- Proactively ensure that gender equity issues are taken into account in all aspects of Oxfam’s work and encourage mainstreaming of gender into all programme aspects by increasing knowledge of the staff, community structures and beneficiary communities through trainings/ awareness raising activities and incorporating gender data in program monitoring and design.
- Ensure that the programme is accountable to beneficiaries through promoting their participation, providing them with information about programme activities and ensuring that beneficiary feedback is used effectively to adapt the programme.
- To represent Oxfam at national and state level Coordination meetings and other sub-sector meetings when needed or requested by NEPC.
Management of Oxfam staff:
- In line with Oxfam performance management procedures, matrix line manage PHE/PH TLs – ensuring that overall performance management is in place and used effectively by the team in the Yemen humanitarian programme.
- Build a strong team spirit and vision, ensuring that discussions on Oxfam country strategy, project implementation strategies, roll on WaSH strategies and detailed implementation planning are shared with the team, understood and implemented
- Ensure an internal coordination mechanism is in place (regular staff meeting and reporting) & feedback is provided to PMs and NEPC, HRco in a timely manner.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Review, and Learning:
- Close collaboration with MEAL Co and inputs/technical support on developing new MEAL tools to be used by the team to ensure that relevant information is being collected to inform strategy and implementation, and to ensure accountability and learning.
- With support from MEALco- guide and support field staff in effective on-going monitoring on project outcomes/impacts, and render technical advice for fine-tuning plans/modalities where required.
- Guide on technical standards in operation reports (internal/ for donors).
- Ensure project learning is captured, consolidated and disseminated.
- Incorporate best practices in projects, and guide program staff on sharing strategies, procedures, successes and lessons learnt at national level and if appropriate regional level with appropriate partners and within Oxfam.
Communicating Oxfam’s work:
- Responsible for WASH contribution to Oxfam’s work, representing and developing good relationships with Ministry/departments/UN and other agencies, be proactive in ensuring that Oxfam develops and maintains a positive profile.
- Keep informed of relevant programme issues and context and to contribute to wider programme learning.
- Work together with the Technical Leads advocating on issues raised by programme team
- As and when requested lead on reporting writing and provide updates to WASH Sector