Plan International is an independent child-centered international development organization committed to advancing the rights of children and fight against poverty. Plan has no religious, political and government affiliation. For 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives.
Plan currently works in 70 countries including Nigeria. Plan International officially started operations in Nigeria in 2014 and works to strengthen and promote the rights of children. Our programme is currently focused on basic education; improve community health services, youth and citizens’ participation in governance and creating economic opportunities and livelihoods for the poor, building resilient communities through our emergency and humanitarian response in the Northeast. Plan Nigeria works with communities, civil society organizations, development partners, government at all levels and the private sector. Our Humanitarian Response Program is looking for professionals who are experienced, dedicated, passionate and eager to make a difference in the lives of people.
Job Title: Child Protection and Psychosocial Support (CP/PSS) Officer
Reports to: Field Coordinator with Technical line to Child Protection Specialist
Duration: 10 Months
Location: Plan International Nigeria, Maiduguri Office
Coordinates and manages the CP and PSS activities in line with International minimum standards for Child Protection and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Humanitarian Action in Borno state North East Nigeria. The post holder will manage the CP and PSS activities interfacing with other programme team members. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners and community volunteers
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To ensure children harmed or at risk of being harmed are identified and receive individual case management support by ensuring the use of the standardized case management tool, Case Management principles are adhered to by Case Management team members.
- To manage, provide training and technical support to, and build the capacity of the full case management team in consultation with the CPiE Specialist.
- To coordinate with other child protection agencies on case management and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support service providers.
- Provide technical and management leadership to the Case Management program in accordance with best practice and Plan policies, including its child-centered community based approach.
- Ensure that solid case management, referral and information management systems are in place for appropriate identification, responses and follow-up for children harmed or at risk of being harmed
- Ensure regular communication with CPiE Specialist to integrate appropriate child protection in emergencies priorities in program design
- Ensure regular Plan case review meetings and conferences are conducted to reflect on progress and to accommodate the lessons learned and improve case management system accordingly; [participate in Best Interest Determination as appropriate].
- Ensure the [Child Protection Database] is set up, regularly updated, analysed for trends in
- the caseload, and efficiently and confidentially managed in collaboration with the Data
- Manager [and relevant partner organizations (e.g. UNHCR, Save the Children and UNICEF)].
- Provide support to Family Tracing and Reunification activities in collaboration with implementing agencies
- Collaborate with other project staff to ensure referrals to other services such as psychosocial support and education/livelihoods interventions
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Qualifications and Experience:
- BA or equivalent in Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Public Health, Human Rights or related degree desired
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing child protection programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- At least 2 years direct experience providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence, providing gender-sensitive and child-friendly counseling services, and/or developing/implementing referral pathways and case management systems
- Previous experience supervising and managing a team in a cross-cultural setting
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of staff
- Previous experience in emergency preparedness and response
- Experience working with case files and databases and providing regular documentation preferred
- Experience in grant management and proposal writing preferred
Physical Environment and Demands:
Travel extensively to lead and supervise programme activities.
Level of Contact with Children:
High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have frequent contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Method of Application
Please submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Indicate the Job title and location as subject of the mail, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Type: Nonprofit
- Headquarters: Plan International Nigeria No. 46 Mike Akhigbe Way Jabi District, Abuja, Nigeria
Plan International is an international organisation or development which works in 51 countries across Africa, the Americas, and Asia to promote the safeguarding of children. It is a nonprofit org...Know More about Plan International