Plan International is an independent child-centered international development organization committed to advancing the rights of children and fight against poverty. Plan has no religious, political and government affiliation. For 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives.
Plan currently works in 70 countries including Nigeria. Plan International officially started operations in Nigeria in 2014 and works to strengthen and promote the rights of children. Our programme is currently focused on basic education; improve community health services, youth and citizens’ participation in governance and creating economic opportunities and livelihoods for the poor, building resilient communities through our emergency and humanitarian response in the Northeast. Plan Nigeria works with communities, civil society organizations, development partners, government at all levels and the private sector. Our Humanitarian Response Program is looking for professionals who are experienced, dedicated, passionate and eager to make a difference in the lives of people.
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Reports to: Field Coordinator with Technical line to Nutrition Specialist
Duration: 7 Months
Location: Plan International Nigeria, Mubi Office
Implement the Nutrition intervention such as CMAM, SAM and IYCF activities implemented in Southern Borno. Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the day to day management of Nutrition activities (Infant and Young Child Feeding, SAM treatment, establishment and supervision of stabilization center) for Plan International in Adamawa and Southern Borno
- Working closely with the Community Engagement Officer and other project team help in the identification and recruitment of community mobilisers and/or project volunteers (care group leaders)
- Monitor and provide support to community level activities such as Care group and Lead
- Mothers for the success of the intervention
- Provide technical support to Plan staff staff, MoH and other humanitarian actors as necessary to promote consistent good practice
- With technical support from Nutrition in Emergency Specialist conduct trainings to build the capacity of staff/volunteers, MoH staff and the community at large
- Ensure appropriate and consistent education messaging to mothers and other carers at Child Friendly Spaces and in the community
- Ensure project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
- With the Breastfeeding Counsellors and Child Protection staff, develop monthly work plans for the Child Friendly Spaces and mobile units
- Facilitate cross sectoral programming, particularly to promote excellent communication and referral between IYCF CP and emergency relief programming
- Under the guidance of the Field Coordinator, undertake local level advocacy targeting other humanitarian actors, local authorities, ministries and the military as appropriate, on assessment and appropriate response to support infant and young child feeding
- At field sites, liaise with other humanitarian actors, local authorities, ministries and the military as appropriate, to maximize collaboration and ensure proper coordination of activities.
- With support from the Monitoring & Evaluation team support the M & E plan implementation within the Nutrition projects, ensuring this links to reporting requirements.
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Qualifications and Experience:
- BA or equivalent in nursing, nutrition, Biology, social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Public Health, or related degree desired
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing Infant and Young Child Feeding programs
- At least 2 years direct experience providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence, providing gender-sensitive and child-friendly counseling services, and/or developing/implementing referral pathways for nutrition services
- Previous experience supervising and managing a team in a cross-cultural setting
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of staff
- Previous experience in emergency preparedness and response
- Experience in grant management and proposal writing preferred
.Physical Environment and Demands:
Travel extensively to lead and supervise programme activities.
Level of Contact with Children:
High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have very frequent contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Method of Application
Please submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: email@example.com . Indicate the Job title and location as subject of the mail, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Type: Nonprofit
- Headquarters: Plan International Nigeria No. 46 Mike Akhigbe Way Jabi District, Abuja, Nigeria
Plan International is an international organisation or development which works in 51 countries across Africa, the Americas, and Asia to promote the safeguarding of children. It is a nonprofit org...Know More about Plan International