The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year through its 190 member National Societies. The Organisation acts before, during and after disasters and health emergences to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
The Africa Regional Business Group is organized through cluster offices covering the National Societies in Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West Coast, Sahel and Central Africa as well as country offices in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Republic of South Sudan, Chad, Niger, Nigeria, Somalia.
The NS/IFRC carried out several needs and capacity assessment in the last months. As a result of the deteriorating situation, an EPOA was done. This EPoA would target a total more than 300.000 people most in need of urgent assistance, specially IDPs and returnees in the NE States of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe to be assisted with food, water, sanitation and hygiene, education, resilience building, community health services (primary health), psychosocial support (PSS), livelihoods as well as cash transfers.
We are looking to hire qualified and dynamic Nigeria to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Communication Officer
Ref No: IFRC-A-COM007
Classification Level: TBC
Organizational Unit/ Duty Station: Nigeria Country Cluster Office
Immediate Supervisor’s Title: Head of Nigeria Complex Operation
Technical Manager’s Title Regional PMER and PRD Coordinator
Reporting to the Head of Nigeria Complex Operation, the CommunicationOfficerwill:
- Act as a focal point to support the Nigeria Red Cross National Society in the field.
- Be in charge of developing regular and quality communication materials related to the Nigeria operation
- In collaboration with the Regional PMER and PRD Coordinator.
- Support the National Society and the IFRC in communicating during emergencies
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Communication Officer is responsible for:
- Support the National Society communications capacity on the ground and act as a spokesperson with international media when required.
- Collect, analyseand transform data from the field into key messages and calls for different stakeholders and audiences.
- Support the National Society in identifying key humanitarian issues to be addressed to the public, media and donors on the situation on the ground and the humanitarian response.
- Work closely with the IFRCRegional PMER and PRD Coordinatorto produce facts and figures, key messages, reactive lines and promote different IM products.
- In collaboration with the National Society, work on advocacy messages to address the different issues linked to the current operation.
- Provide context analysis and draft communication pack with key material (facts and figures, key messages, press releases etc)
- News releases (as needed), videos, photographs with captions, and qualified spokespeople contacts are immediately developed and made available to media and key stakeholders. If security allows, facilitate media field trips to the operational areas
- Maintain a social media presence throughout the operation utilizing IFRC communication tools
- Support the appeal using people at the community level (Write stories and interviews, web stories, blogs, video footage and photos with extended captions, provide basic audio-visual material)
- Share any communications material created through this appeal with IFRC for use on various communications channels including the IFRC Africa Region web page
- Facilitate National Society and IFRC in pitching media stories and professionally handling media inquiries with broadcast, print and online media/social media.
- Support the launch of the emergency appeal and other major milestones throughout the operation using people-centred at the community level.
- Produce/assist in the production of advocacy messages in collaboration with National Societies to address the different issues linked to the current emergency operations (Health, Shelter, Cash Transfer, WASH, DM etc.);
- Facilitate National Societies and IFRC in pitching media stories and professionally handling media enquiries with broadcast, print and online media/social media;
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
- Relevant University degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or International Policies
- At least 3 years of experience working as journalist/press officer and/or Communications/Policy Officer
- Experience in managing communications issues in complex and delicate situations
- Experience in building media contacts
- Experience in emergency response
- RC/RC experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Self-supporting in computers
- Knowledge of social media and related trends
- Knowledge of humanitarian affairs
- Ability to negotiate with varying partners
- Ability to multi task and work under pressure
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of the operational context and area
- Flexibility and ability to travel in the operation’s areas
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Competencies (to be filled in by HR):
- National Society relations
- Professionalism - Integrity - Diversity
- Results focus and accountability
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter (with 03 referees professional email-addresses + phone contacts) to: quoting the Reference Number on the subject title of the mail.
Note: No hand delivered applications will be accepted.