The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year through its 190 member National Societies. The Organisation acts before, during and after disasters and health emergences to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
The Africa Regional Business Group is organized through cluster offices covering the National Societies in Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West Coast, Sahel and Central Africa as well as country offices in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Republic of South Sudan, Chad, Niger, Nigeria, Somalia.
The NS/IFRC carried out several needs and capacity assessment in the last months. As a result of the deteriorating situation, an EPOA was done. This EPoA would target a total more than 300.000 people most in need of urgent assistance, specially IDPs and returnees in the NE States of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe to be assisted with food, water, sanitation and hygiene, education, resilience building, community health services (primary health), psychosocial support (PSS), livelihoods as well as cash transfers.
We are looking to hire qualified and dynamic Nigeria to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: IT Telecom and IM Officer
Ref No: IFRC-A-ITIM-004
Contracts Length: 6 Months
Classification Level: TBC
Organizational Unit/ Duty Station: Nigeria Cluster Office
Immediate Supervisor’s Title: Head of Nigeria Complex Operation
Technical Manager’s Title: Regional Security Unit
Reporting to the Head of Nigeria Complex Operation, the IT Telecom and IM Officer will:
- Install, maintain, manage and support the Nigerian RC and IFRC’s ICT systems and infrastructurefor this operation.
- Advise and support the partners (PNS) in the implementation of their information and communication infrastructure if needed and when required.
- Make sure that NRCS’s IT policy is developed, implemented and respected by all the staffs.
- Work in close coordination with the responding National Society as well as staffs to streamline and maintain the management of information in support of the Nigeria operations.
- Establish information management systems for the response and build the capacity of the National Society to encourage and support both more informed decision making and better coordination in operations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The IT Telecom and IM Officerwill be responsible for:
IT and Telecom Management
Ensure the management of IT and Telecom infrastructures:
- Daily support of NRCS’s software, Computer network, IT & Telecom (VHF / HF) equipment
- Analyse, propose and improve network resources and any related network services
- Establish IT & Telecom equipment maintenance plan in close collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator.
- Carry out field mission to support IT & Telecom infrastructure and users in the Abuja Country Cluster office and in the operational areas..
- Make sure that IT & Telecom equipment are functional and ready to be deployed.
- Follow up with repair of IT/Telecom equipment.
- Train user to efficiently use IT & Telecom resources.
- Maintain up to date IT/Telecom Database asset management and equipment tracking and location.
- Participate to the production of the IT/Telecom policy and manual of Procedures.
Manage the Radio:
- Set up radio service according to the operation’s needs.
- Provide radio service on daily basis.
- Ensure that radio procedures are follow up by users (drivers, travellers).
Provide support to the Nigerian RC National Society:
- In close collaboration with the Nigeria RC IT team, provide support to improve their IT/Telecom infrastructure when necessary and required.
Management of IT/Telecom asset and procurement, Report:
- Assess the needs in term of IT / Telecom equipment and participate to equipment procurement in close collaboration with the Head of Nigeria operations or the Procurement delegate.
- Make sure that every equipment is properly inventoried, user owning the equipment identified and equipment location is verifiable.
- Contribute to narrative and financial reports on IT and Telecommunications activities for the Nigeria operations.
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
Information Management (IM):
- Serve as the focal point for all information on Red Cross/Red Crescent (RCRC) activities in the affected region or in the Abuja Cluster office and in the operation’s areas.
- Maintain existing databases and information sharing systems on the response and provide technical support to contributing partners when required.
- Endeavour to improve and enhance the database and information sharing infrastructure as and when it is appropriate and not going to disrupt existing levels of engagement.
- Growth the detail and breadth of indicators collected, again, as and when it is appropriate and not going to disrupt existing levels of engagement.
- Identify additional data/analysis/information needs to support decision-making and establish additional data collection/processing if required.
- Build and maintain relationships with other information focal points both internally and externally to gain access to relevant sources of data and information services and facilitate information exchange.
- Disseminate information and analysis products to all those that require them in a timely and useful format.
- Facilitate internal communication systems across all the operations partners and establish rapid and effective reporting networks.
- Analyse and visualise available data to identify gaps/overlaps/needs in operations and communicate/disseminate such findings to all those to whom it may be relevant.
- Advocate for the use of data analysis and information products in decision making, planning and coordination
- Promote information management services across the staff and the Nigeria National Society involved in the response to encourage for better use to be made of existing expertise.
- Liaise with the Information Management team in Geneva and IFRC regional IM staff, to better align and coordinate the Movement’s approach to migration and to communicate relevant operational decision-making information.
- Explore new solutions to operational questions using technical innovation.
- Participate in inter-agency coordination efforts on behalf of the RCRC Movement across all sectors and particularly with regard to information management.
- Review data for quality and accuracy.
- Record and store all relevant information and documents to ensure accountability and institutional memory on work conducted.
- Any other reasonable tasks as stipulated by the line manager and other senior staff.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
- Relevant university degree in Social Science (Information Management) or in an engineering discipline or equivalent technical qualification plus working experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in information and data management
- Experience with GIS tools and ability to produce basic maps in order to visualise geographic information
- Experience with graphic design and data visualisation with the ability to translate complex digital information into clear and attractive graphic presentations
- Experience setting up, managing and coordinating disaster management information systems
- 03 years’ experience in computer systems (LAN, WAN TCP/IP connectivity, E-mail, application and user support domains).
- 03 years’ experience in radio communication technologies (VHF, HF, PACTOR, etc..) and satellites (INMARSAT etc), including practice in electronic repair
- Experience in inventory and stock management
- Experience in providing training and capacity building
- Experience in Radio communication and in using different equipment (Codan, Motorola, Kenwood...)
- Red Cross Red Crescent work experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Self-supporting in computers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential with the ability to craft an analytical narrative from data findings
- Good understanding of humanitarian responses, actors involved, and the role of evidence-based decision making for the delivery of humanitarian action
- Strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy in order to manage relationships with many stakeholders and in a complex situational environment
- Solid skills in teamwork and coordination so as to be able to bridge the communication between decision makers and technical personnel
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to synthesize, process and prioritize large amounts of information
- Strong attention to detail in both listening and visualisation design
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks
- Considerable computer literacy skills with moderate to advanced skills in MS Excel
- Additional skills in database management, web design and programming, and internet technologies
- Inter-personal communication skills
- Solid and tested analytical skills and ability to write effectively
- Analytical decision making capacity
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Competencies (to be filled in by HR):
- National Society relations
- Strategic orientation - Communication - Teamwork
- Professionalism - Integrity - Diversity
- Results focus and accountability
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter (with 03 referees professional email-addresses + phone contacts) quoting the Reference Number on the subject title of the mail.
- This position might be based or travel frequently to operational areas in the 3 NE states.
- No hand delivered applications will be accepted.