The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Recruitment Type: National (3 year renewable contract)
The tasks will include:
- Manage Confined Field Trials for CASS project
- Supervise sampling and sample processing for the CASS project.
- Manage all activities related to the CASS confined field trials.
- Investigate the molecular basis of resistance to viral diseases (CMD and CBSV) in cassava.
- Study genes and pathways involved in the mechanism of storage root initiation in cassava.
- Study the differential expression profile of mRNA and smallRNA in different cassava genotypes before and after storage root initiation
- Study the differential RNA expression profiles in banana genotypes selected within the MUSA project.
- Produce and analyse RNA and smallRNA sequencing data in collaboration with the bioinformatics unit.
- Implement capacity for NGS RNA libraries preparation at Bioscience unit.
- Implement capacity for assessment of gene function and gene modification including: agrobacterium-mediated transient gene expression and virus induced gene silencing (VIGS) technologies.
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals.
- Supervise and train PhD and master students supported by the CASS and MUSA projects in advanced molecular biology and virology.