SCOPE OF WORK:
The WASH Officer will play a fundamental role in the success of the project by closely supervising water and sanitation infrastructures as well as promoting good hygiene practices amongst the target population conducive to reducing mortality and morbidity related to water and faecal-borne diseases.
Position objectives: The principle objectives of the position are to:
a) Ensure water and sanitation activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering beneficiary needs as per the SPHERE standards.
b) Train Community Hygiene Promoters in the delivery of hygiene awareness-raising sessions.
c) Conduct rapid and detailed assessments aimed at establishing knowledge, awareness and practices of the target community with regard to hygiene.
d) Assist the EH Manager (Hygiene Promotion) in the design and implementation of the Hygiene Promotion M&E Plan.
e) Maintain close links and collaboration with other IRC sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, Gender, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
Staff Supervision & Development
· Lead a team of EH Infrastructure and Hygiene Promotion Assistants and Community Hygiene Volunteers within the area of operation.
· Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
· Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and annual performance reviews.
· Plan/coordinate and oversee team work plans, vacation schedules, and training/development activities
Grant Planning & Implementation
· Prepare and maintain/update detailed work plan(s) that support the achievement of the overall grant timeline and completion date
· Provide direction and monitor staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and achieve timelines
· Assist the EH Manager in the design of all assessments, monitoring and hygiene promotion tools.
· Directly implement the construction of water supply infrastructures including but not be limited to drilling of shallow and deep boreholes, installation of future hand pumps, installation of solar submersible pumps, construction of elevated water storage tanks, trenching and piping for water supply reticulation systems, construction of well aprons and communal tap stands with appropriate drainage.
· Conduct monthly need assessment and monitor the Distribution of NFIs
· Directly implement the construction and installation of sanitation facilities including but not limited to Communal latrines, house hold latrines, Solid waste pits/bins, Hand washing stations, Drainage, Menstrual Hygiene Management facilities and bathing shelters.
· Identify and train Water Point attendants and Pump Technicians and motorized/solar systems Operators within WASH committees.
· Closely coordinate emergency water supply in camps with maintaining accurate records on water trucking.
· If required, supervise water trucking deliveries, water chlorination and water quality monitoring.
· Provide weekly reports of progress on the construction of water and sanitation facilities to EH Manager.
· Provide regular water quality monitoring reports to EH Manager
· Seek guidance and approval from EH Manager – Water and Sanitation on any changes to approved designs for water supply including water trucking concerns.
· Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials.
· Coordinate closely with the EH Assistant (Water and Sanitation) EH Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) on water quantity, location of water sources/communal taps while considering beneficiary needs.
· Implement Training of Trainer (ToT) sessions on Health and Hygiene promotion to Community Hygiene Promoters in target communities.
· Submit periodic and ad hoc reports on progress and monitoring activities
· Participate in the formation/training of community WASH committees.
· Assist in the orientation of newly arrived national staff on the team when requested
· Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
· Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
· Ensure all monitoring activities are fully documented, including systematic and timely data collection as required under the grant and for IRC M&E purposes
· Produce/contribute to IRC and donor reports as per set schedules (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements.
Coordination & Representation
· Work closely and coordinator with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
· Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, donors and government at field level.
· Assist in the collection of data, assessments and proposal development for the sector.
· Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
· All IRC staff is required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.