Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Specialist
Job Ref Code: LABS071817
Locations: Delta & Edo
Project: HSS / Investing for Impact Against HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis
Position Band: D-1
Reports to: State Team Lead & Logistics and Supply Chain Manager
- CRS is a Sub-Recipient to Family Health International (FHI 360) on the Global Fund New Funding Model HIV Program in Nigeria.
- The Program seeks to scale up gender sensitive HIV prevention services among children and adults in Nigeria.
- Training of Secondary Health Centre personnel on the protocols for quality inthe laboratory.
- Evaluate quality control and quality assurance statistics and modifies manuals as needed
- Design of protocols for efficient quality management of a clinical laboratory.
- Test new and improved laboratory methods and procedures.
- Prepare laboratory notes, charts and graphs and writes up results of examinations.
- Keep accurate monthly Laboratory Project Records
- Prepare & distribute testing panels for Quality Laboratory Assessment
- Management of staff Performance at SHC Laboratories
- Development of standard tools for evaluation & troubleshooting of laboratory equipment.
- Development & revision of Instrument maintenance policy.
- Liaising with manufacturer’s service engineers to ensure the continuous functionality of all laboratory equipment.
- Diagnoses equipment malfunctions and dismantles and repairs equipment.
- Liaising closely with other medical professionals, such as doctors and nurses as well as with end-users (patients and their care-givers) to ensure proper understanding and utilization of laboratory protocols and equipment.
- Serve as resource persons for GF HIV laboratory trainings
- Trains or supervises training of partner laboratory staff.
- Preparation of training manuals
- On-site hands-on trainings on general Laboratory procedures
- Case-based demonstrations of proper laboratory procedures
- Auditing of the laboratory system
- Monitoring of product (laboratory reagents and supplies) consumption rate
- Monitoring of the storage condition of commodities at SHC laboratories
- In collaboration with other program team members, ensure monthly collation of RTK, DBS and CRIFF data.
- Compile a comprehensive report for item (c).
- Facilitate sample logging between facilities to support a facility with faulty equipment.
- Ensure that there is no stock-out of reagents and supplies at facilities.
- Facilitate the prompt movement and documentation of DBS samples (with retrieval of results) from PHCs to SHC; and from SHCs to the referral laboratories.
- In collaboration with site mangers, ensure that all GeneXpert laboratories in the SHCs are fully functional and are able to provide full services.
- Develop and maintain healthy relationships between CRS’ GF partner facilities, CRS, the GoN and other relevant stakeholders
- In collaboration with the GF program staff and other technical staff, develop, implement and periodically update a decentralized GF workplan.
CRS/Nigeria Program Responsibilities
- The Laboratory Specialist will also participate as a full member of the CRS/Nigeria Program Department.
- This will include active involvement in all Program Department activities as needed.
Agency Wide Competences (For all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves withintegrity
- Cultivates constructive relationships
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal:Senior Program Manager, State Team Leads, Supply Chain Manager, Technical Specialists, M&E Officers
- External: FHI, NACA, Chemonics, Lab equipment maintenance vendors, PEPFAR IPs
Min Required Experience: 5 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS) with at least 5 years post-NYSC work experience.
- Appropriate licensure or certification as a medical scientist approved by the MLSCN.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a project in a HIV/AIDS service delivery setting, including working with government authorities.
- Proven experience working with and through partner organizations in both private and public sectors.
- Working knowledge of and experience with GF or USG projects will be an advantage.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interface with multiple stakeholders, representatives, and partners in a professional manner on an ongoing basis.
- Excellent analytical and information seeking skills, good decision-making skills.
- Excellent English language- oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "Application Form Below" and send with a detailed 3-page resume in a single file word document indicating in the subject line of their application the job title and reference code for the position and the state being applied for (e.g SCSABIA071817).
Click here to download Application Form (MS Word)
- Type: Nonprofit
- Headquarters: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. Founded in 1943 by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops, the agency pro...Know More about Catholic Relief Services (crs)
Employees said "Its the "BEST" place to work".