Adam Smith International are an award-winning professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments. Adam Smith International has a strong corporate presence globally, with 146 current projects across 49 countries and over 1,000 staff and associates. Headquartered in London, our regional headquarters are based in Africa (Nairobi, Abuja, and Pretoria), Asia Pacific (Sydney) and South Asia (Delhi), with numerous registered offices across Africa and Asia.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Skills Development Specialist
Tracking Code: 947-112
Reporting to: Apprenticeship Intervention Manager
- Mafita is a 6-year DFID-funded programme working in Nigeria’s northern states, with a vision to empower marginalised youths and women through the provision of increased economic opportunities and social inclusion.
Northern Nigeria has high-youth unemployment, insecurity and limited economic opportunities. MAFITA aims to assist 68,000 marginalised young people – with a particular emphasis on adolescent girls and Almajirai – to find gainful employment. By 2021, the program will create a net total of 43,300 full-time equivalent jobs and assisted 23,500 micro and small enterprises (MSEs). The project will tackle the supply and demand side of the labour market, focussing on the delivery of skills essential for employment, as well as the absorptive capacity of the labour market.
MAFITA will partner with public and private stakeholders to improve access to relevant and quality training, mentorship, work experience, business development, and financial services for marginalised youths and women. The programme will also support local market systems to enable the absorption of MAFITA’s target beneficiaries into sustainable income-generating activities.
- The Jigawa Skills Development Specialist is responsible for supporting the Intervention Managers in managing (planning, implementation and evaluating) skills development programmes in the COSDECs (Community Skills Development Centre) and Apprenticeship interventions in the state.
- Act as a liaison between Mafita (intervention managers), training institutions, MCPs, Trade associations and clusters on skills development matters
- Liaise with the Apprenticeship Intervention Manager, and state on the implementation of the skills programmes in the interventions.
- Work in close collaboration with the apprenticeship training specialist in delivery of skills and trainings at the state
- In collaboration with the apprenticeship training and operation specialists, facilitate identification, selection and strengthening of MCPs and trade associations.
- In collaboration with the cluster development specialist, facilitate the formation and strengthening MCP clusters.
- In collaboration with apprenticeship training specialist, facilitate the development of training packages and plans for implementation of skills programmes at the state.
- In collaboration with the apprenticeship team, facilitate meetings involving trade associations, MCPs, cluster champions
- Facilitate the selection of foundation skills training centres in the state.
- Facilitate the monitoring on a regular basis the quality, progress and relevance of training provided in the skills to MCPs and apprenticeship interventions and provide suggested strategies to address challenges.
- Advice the Apprenticeship Intervention Manager on skills and training needs and any support package needed at the skills development locations.
- Provide regular updates on the status of skills delivery in the apprenticeship locations
- Conduct any other tasks as assigned by the Intervention Manager.
- This is a full-time position, commencing as soon as possible with 108 days of input until 31st March 2018.
- The candidate will be based in the Kano office with some travel in and around focal states of Kano, Kaduna, Katsina and Jigawa.
Min Required Experience: 0 year(s)
Min Qualification: Not Specified
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Required Skills and Experience
- Alongside exceptional technical competencies, the candidate should bring a commitment to the programme’s overall aims of providing sustainable livelihood opportunities to marginalized young people across our core states of operation.
- The preferred candidate will bring a strong work ethic to a lively and dedicated team of professionals.
The following qualifications are required:
- Proven experience as a skills development officer or similar position.
- Thorough understanding of the skills development processes.
- Minimum of university Degree in Technical and Vocational education and training (technical skilled person), or professional teacher education or equivalent working experience in skills development
- Proven experience in coordination or involvement in skills related project is an added advantage
- Teamwork, dialogue, networking, flexibility, initiative, innovative, analytical and problem solving abilities
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft word, excel, power point and use of the internet.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Hausa and English (reading, writing and speaking).
- A good listener with ability to communicate with people of diverse disciplines and culture.
- Outstanding organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to make presentation and lead teams and meetings.
- Ability to write periodic and activity report.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online