The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC in Nigeria is scaling up its humanitarian response targeting Internally Displaced persons (IDPs), Returnees and host communities in Yobe State. At the moment, IRC is expanding its interventions Local government Areas (LGAs) in Yobe state.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: EH-Hygiene Promotion Assistant
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
- At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- IRC in Nigeria is scaling up its humanitarian response targeting Internally Displaced persons (IDPs), Returnees and host communities in Yobe State. At the moment, IRC is expanding its interventions Local government Areas (LGAs) in Yobe state.
Scope of Work
- The EH Assistant-Hygiene Promotion will be based in Yobe and report to the EH Officer – Hygiene Promotion.
- S/he will be primarily responsible for supervising the implementation of hygiene promotion activities at village level as directed by the EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Hygiene promotion in implementing hygiene promotion activities in the communities.
- This includes training of Community Hygiene promoters, establishing and training WASH committees, Kids hygiene clubs and directly carrying out hygiene awareness in the communities.
- Ensure that the hygiene promotion activities in the communities are implemented in a timely and professional manner and in line with beneficiary needs.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other EH teams and sectors including Health, Nutrition, Protection, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in the communities; this includes household visits, hygiene awareness sessions and distribution of hygiene promotion materials.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoters over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points
- If requested, participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning.
- Directly manage the day to day hygiene promotion activities in the field locations.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet agreed objectives within the time frame.
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming.
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community hygiene Promoters and train hygiene promoters on their appropriate use.
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters, community volunteers, community leaders, kid’s hygiene clubs and WASH committees.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records
- Provide weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials and detailed NFI distribution records.
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Assist the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion to identify, train and support Community hygiene promoters, WASH committee members and Kids hygiene club members.
- Supervise and manage community Hygiene promoters.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget.
- Responsible for community hygiene promoter’s weekly reports, timesheets and weekly work plans.
- Participate in daily monitoring and recording of Hygiene promotion activities including house hold visits, Group Hygiene sessions, Mass Hygiene awareness campaigns, NFI distributions and other Hygiene related activities.
- Participate in Monthly HH surveys and KAP surveys depending on need.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion, and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor for the development IRC programs
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.