For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 46 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
PARAMEDIC / EMERGENCY TECHNICIAN
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 2 years
Job Field: Medical / Health NGO/Non-Profit
Length of contract:
Possibility for extension:
As a paramedic in the ambulance, you'll provide immediate response for medical emergencies and support on the referral of patients. You'll usually be the healthcare professional on the ambulance, and at the level of care you will deal with life threatening conditions to stable medical referrals.
During the referral, you will need to assess a patient's condition and provide essential treatment which could include:
- Resuscitating and stabilizing patients;
- Using high-tech equipment e.g. defibrillator;
- Administering intravenous drips, drugs and oxygen.
- Emergencies can cover injuries, sudden illness, deliveries, complicated pregnancies, hypovolemic shock, patients with diseases as complicated cholera, complicated malaria and others, also some casualties arising as accidents and/or other incidents.
- Work in collaboration of medical supervisors and medical doctors, midwives and nurses at the MDM health facilities.
- Provide written and verbal report of each referral (daily and weekly bases).
- use technical equipment, including ventilators to assist breathing and defibrillators to treat heart failure, in order to resuscitate and stabilize patients;
- carry out certain surgical procedures when necessary, such as intubation (insertion of a breathing tube);
- monitor the patient's condition;
- work closely with doctors and nurses at hospital emergency departments or other health facilities, briefing them as their patient arrives at hospital;
- Clean, decontaminate and check vehicles and equipment to maintain a state of operational readiness.
- Weekly inventory of medical equipment, consumables and drugs.
- Participate In internal MDM meetings
Min Required Experience: 2 year(s)
Min Qualification: Others
Desired Courses: Not Specified
- Degree in Technical paramedic or Nursing
- Basic Life Support Diploma (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) diploma will be an asset.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in emergency department or paramedic in ambulance, a humanitarian experience will be an Asset.
- Good Team player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Languages spoken and written (English and Local Languages)
- Solid and proven organizational skills
- Capacity to work in a multicultural environment and under time pressure.
Method of Application
To apply, please submit: a two page curriculum vitae; three work-related references; a one page cover letter explaining how your skills and experience match the job requirements stated above. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF. Also, write the job title and your name in the subject line. Send to email@example.com
Deadline for submission: 26th September 2017
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Starting date: Asap
Place of office: Maiduguri with frequent travel to field sites
We’ll pay attention only to the complete files in English.
Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
Please note that if you have not heard from MdM within 2 weeks after the close of the job advert, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.