Save the Children International is a ‘dual mandate’ organisation and as such equal priority will be given to both humanitarian and development work. This is the only way we will be able to ensure that some of the fundamental rights that we believe children have, such as survival, safety and constant access to protection and education can be guaranteed. As part of a commitment to work with children through humanitarian interventions Save the Children will support programmes in both sudden onset and chronic emergency situations.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party, OVC
Requisition No: DEPUT01312
- Save the Children (SC) is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID/PEPFAR-funded project providing support to orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in Nigeria.
- The DCOP will work with Save the Children’s existing country office, and will provide operational leadership to support the direct implementation of program activities.
- The DCOP will oversee the overall operations and ensure the smooth running of a complex, multi-layered project by managing systems, staff and building capacity that support the results of the project.
- As the DCOP, s/he is also responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) in the overall management of the project.
- In collaboration with the COP, s/he will maintain close liaison with USAID, Save the Children offices, various line ministries and partners as needed.
- Additionally, s/he will coordinate and manage district implementation, grants/finance, operations, and management information functions of the project.
- S/he will lead the operations, finance and support services project team and be responsible for working with the country office for the financial and grants management, HR, administration, IT, logistics and procurement of the project.
- The goal of the five-year project is to reduce HIV impact, vulnerability and risk, as well as increase high impact HIV services to improve the well-being of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in southern Nigeria.
- Overall, the project seeks to improve health, nutrition, psycho-social well-being and educational outcomes; and reduced abuse of children affected by HIV.
- This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
- The DCOP will liaise closely with USAID, Government of Nigeria, Save the Children’s Headquarters and Country Office, as well as partner organizations. Key responsibilities include:
- Assist the COP with annual planning processes, in close collaboration with program teams;
- In collaboration with the program leadership team and implementing partners, lead the development of, budgeting and management processes ensuring results-oriented, efficient program operations at implementation level, including processes for the periodic review of implementation across districts and facilitate necessary mid-course corrections;
- Participate in the leadership team meetings and contribute to the program level management decision-making;
- Along with the COP, ensure appropriate project organizational structures are in place to ensure the most efficient and effective implementation of program activities;
- In collaboration with the COP, represent the program in appropriate technical and managerial advisory groups with government stakeholders and with USAID;
- Provide leadership and technical expertise to develop capacity of local civil society organizations (NGOs and CBOS) and local government entities (state level and district level representatives of the Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare);
- Directly manage staff included in the operational team including finance, operations, support functions and M&E;
- Work with the SC country office grants, finance, administration and human resource units to ensure systems are in place for the most effective program implementation with regards to M&E, financial management and compliance with all donor requirements;
- Adherence to SC operational procedures and guidelines;
- Act as the Chief of Party during his/her absence;