North East Regional Initiative (NERI) is an International Development Organization
STTA Community Radio Design Consultants - 3 positions
Job Type:Full Time
Job Field:Consultancy Media / Advertising / Branding
Start Date: Immediately
Duration: Short Term
- The consultant(s) will serve as the activity’s primary point of engagement with the Borno State Ministry for Home Affairs, Information and Culture while working closely with relevant staff and management to design and implement the new radio network. He/she will advise Ministry staff on appropriate radio station management and staffing structures, with a focus on community governance and engagement, design and deliver staff training, and develop a technical plan for equipment and oversee installation.
- Note that radio stations will effectively be owned and operated by the BOSG. The government will provide the radio station buildings, vehicles, ensure security of the radio station facilities and assets, provide the licenses, hire staff, and cover operating costs including staff salaries. Though defacto government stations, however, it is the intention of the project and the BOSG that management and governance of these stations will adhere to a community radio-type structure that includes a board of directors, community-driven content and editorial independence. These concepts should be infused in all aspects of the FM radio network design and implementation.
The consultancy will be carried out in three areas:
- The consultant(s) will drive the radio network design process while working collaboratively with the BOSG staff to ensure understanding, buy-in and that the strategic objectives of the Ministry are met under this activity. Specifically, the consultant(s) will, in conjunction with Ministry staff:
- Confirm and finalize station locations
- Develop a radio network mission and governing framework based on best practices for community-managed radio stations. The framework should include an independent board of directors comprised of community leaders, promote community participation at all levels, ensure content is community driven, and critically, enshrine editorial independence as key tenet of the network’s mission.
- Develop a radio station management plan to include optimal staffing structure, station policies and procedures, volunteer management, etc.
- Develop a business plan for supporting the 4 station network, including a general budget, proposed revenue streams, marketing plan, and mid to long term financial goals to ensure sustainability.
- Design and deliver management training for appropriate radio station personnel (station manager, financial manager, and marketing manager).
- Design and deliver journalism and on-air training for editorial staff, including social media (reporters, presenters, producers)
- Mentor staff over a period of three months to reinforce learning objectives
- Equipment & Installation (in conjunction with engineer)
- Conduct technical assessment of existing radio stations to determine quality and usability of current equipment for consistency and continuity of future equipment (if relevant).
- Develop broadcast coverage plan for each radio station, including justification for placement, expected broadcast footprint, maps with coordinates of each station.
- Determine desired broadcast footprint for each station and design equipment packages accordingly.
- Develop equipment plan for each station to include: a) studio equipment, b) broadcast equipment, c) power generation, if needed (i.e. genset, solar power system).
- Identify equipment vendors, obtain quotes
- Identify equipment installers or firms, obtain quotes
- Oversee and manage installation of all equipment at each radio station site
- Develop technical manual for troubleshooting, maintenance, and training purposes
Reporting & Supervision:
- This position(s) reports to the State Program Manager Borno
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES include the following:
- Monthly Report – includes accomplishments, challenges, and solutions.
- Radio network governing framework
- Radio station management plan
- Radio station business plan
- Station Management Training plan
- Editorial Training plan
- Broadcast coverage plan with justification, maps, and coordinates of finalized locations for FM radio stations.
- Equipment plan for all stations
- Final report with overall outcomes of activity, challenges and solutions, recommendation for further engagement.