Person Specification (Experience & Knowledge)
The successful candidate will need to provide evidence of outstanding professional knowledge and progressive leadership including:
- Basic Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- A Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of five years of managerial experience in a complex security operation in an educational environment is preferred.
- Law enforcement experience.
- Must be able to handle a variety of handguns and pistols.
- Experience using personal computers to include use of word processing, data base, and browser programs.
- Experience using security equipment and fire standards.
- Knowledge of security access control software, equipment, and processes.
- Experience in an environment with contract security highly desirable.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse constituents.
- Must be fluent in English (written and oral).
- Must have or be able to obtain First Aid certificate.
- Must be able to routinely and as a first responder in emergency situation, ambulate around a large campus with various buildings and mixed terrains including pavements, gardens and stairs.
- Capable of bending, stooping, reaching over head and lifting up to 50 lbs.
As well as the core requirements set out above the successful applicant will be able to demonstrate an ethos and approach to the leadership and management aspects of the role that include:
Leadership and management:
- Leads based on sound personal and organisational values
- Leads and manages with creative positive approaches that are sensitive to the University’s culture
- Builds consensus, enhances collaboration and fosters teamwork
- Holds self and others accountable
- Articulates a strategic vision to inspire action in others
- Ensures alignment with institutional strategy and goals
- Considers information from broad sources outside of the University
- Promotes and actively drives change at the organisational level, serving as a champion of new ideas and approaches
- Leads thinking about the expanding role of the digital infrastructure
- Actively works to extend the purpose and impact of the digital infrastructure
- Takes initiative to ensure the future success of security services
- Drives toward operational efficiencies in practices and processes
- Formulates a positive vision that inspires others to act
- Demonstrates excellent communication, presentation, networking, listening, interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Shapes and disseminates key organisational messages to staff and colleagues internally and externally ensuring understanding
- Builds relationships with key players both internally and externally in order to gain support
- Develops compelling and articulate proposals and clearly explains them
- Demonstrates excellent presentation and persuasion skills
- Commits to developing leadership capacities in self and others
- Develops goals for staff that identify professional development needs and supports their ongoing growth and success
- Provides clear direction in a way that motivates and empowers others
- Adapts leadership style to varying team environments
- Works with staff (internal and external) in a collegiate manner
- Enhances collaboration with others to find mutual benefits
- Plays a significant role in groups across HE and other relevant sectors
Planning and organising:
- Establishes effective planning and organisational systems within security services
- Anticipates changing needs within a constantly evolving environment and identifies timely responses
- Fosters innovation supported by an evidence-based culture of assessment
- Considers large amounts of complex information quickly and identifies key issues
- Looks frequently to best practices and solutions developed elsewhere
- Encourages experimentation and risk-taking while realising that not every initiative might succeed
- Focuses keenly on customer needs, seeking and acting on feedback
- Empowers others to deliver excellent service through motivation, development, effective processes and excellent infrastructure
- Ensures decisions are made in a timely manner with appropriate consultation and according
- to agreed policies and strategies
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to the "Human Resource Office" via email
To apply, it is ESSENTIAL that your Application consists of:
A Cover Letter (maximum one single-sided A4 page) noting your personal and contact details and specifying the position(s) you are applying for;
Your curriculum vitae (maximum 2 single-sided A4 pages) outlining your academic and professional qualifications as well as your work experience in reverse chronological order with your current, or most recent job, first; and
A narrative (maximum 4 single-sided A4 pages) as to how you match the requirements noted below:
Applicants must address the following in ther application submission:
How their previous engagements are in line to all the requirments set out above under this job descritption section;
How their furture work would add-value towards the criteria set out in this job description section; and
How they best fit in improving the academic work and student services to be delivered by the university.
The selection process will consist of three phases:
Initially, the selection panel will consider all candidates that match the Job Role and Person specification criteria;
As an interim stage, a short-listing of best fit applicants will be compiled and an interview panel will be formed. Candidates that make this short-list will be invited to attend a preliminary interview; and
In the final stage of the process, selected few candidates will be asked to attend a final interview. A job offer will be made to the best applicants following this stage.
Full Name (Surname first, in capital letters);
Declaration of Change of Name;
Place and Date of Birth;
State of Origin & Local Government Area;
Permanent Home Address;
Present Postal Address;
Mobile telephone numbers; and
Work Experience, including full details of former and present post(s);
Full details of teaching and research experience and service; and current total annual salary details.
Educational Institutions Attended, with Dates;
Academic Qualifications Obtained, with Dates;
Professional Qualifications Obtained, with Dates;
List of Publications, (where applicable); and
Honours and Distinctions.
Number and Ages of Children (if any); and
Two (2) Referees
Names of Referees;
Telephone number; and
Note: Most resulting appointments will commence in September, 2018 (fall semester) to mid- June, 2019. While the appointments will be based at the Ibuso Campus, there may also be the need to cover assignments at the Sapele Campus.
Use link for More Information