Tropical Health LLP is an international consultancy company specialising in the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of health and disease control programmes in Africa and Asia. We contribute in a unique way to the cost effectiveness and sustainability of development aid in the health sector by improving the availability, quality and use of evidence for strategic and operational planning and programme implementation. We offer a variety of services in the M&E field including independent evaluations and reviews, health research studies, comprehensive programme M&E design and solutions, health surveillance and information systems. We firmly believe in the principles of developing local capacity and transferring skills and knowledge.
Tropical Health is seeking an exceptional Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist to lead and build the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) as part of a large donor malaria programme that will operate across six states in Nigeria. The position will be seconded to the NMEP’s M&E branch with the aim of building the branch’s capacity in technical leadership of all NMEP M&E and data and evidence generation activities. The position will be based in Abuja with extensive travel to support selected State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) M&E teams.
Role title: Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed Term, 2 years with possible extension
Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience
Tropical Health is seeking an exceptional Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist to lead and build the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) as part of a large donor malaria programme in Nigeria. The position will be seconded to the NMEP’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) branch with the aim of building the branch’s capacity in technical leadership of all NMEP M&E and data and evidence generation activities. The position will be based in Abuja with extensive travel to support selected State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) M&E teams.
As a senior member of the donor funded programme management team in Nigeria, the Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist is responsible for:
· In partnership with the NMEP, develop and operationalise a NMEP M&E Capacity Building Strategy.
· Lead the technical capacity building of the NMEP’s M&E branch to implement the NMEP M&E plan, including, but not limited to:
o define clear roles and responsibilities of the NMEP/SMEP M&E personnel
o define clear flow and processes for malaria data collection through a mix of different malaria information systems
o strengthen data collation and quality assurance for routine (surveillance) and survey or evaluation data
o analyse and interpret data and build capacity of the NMEP team in the same
o strengthen the utility and quality of data presentation, using attractive visual formats where relevant, in key N/SMEP reports and information sharing efforts
o promote and support use of data and evidence by all NMEP and SMEP personnel for planning, budgeting and decision making
· Liaise with and leverage on other donor malaria M&E strengthening interventions to maximize and ensure complementary of efforts
· Provide the senior management team feedback on progress of capacity building efforts.
· Work closely with the programme’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist to ensure activities are aligned.
· Represent the programme in technical fora, such as the NMEP M&E Sub-committee of the Malaria Technical Working Group.
Min Required Experience: 10 year(s)
Min Qualification: Masters
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, research methods or other relevant qualification.
- Demonstrated experience of leading malaria M&E activities, with a record of achieving programme objectives.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of health systems’ dynamics and challenges in relation to Nigeria’s response to malaria.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of malaria M&E systems in Nigeria and/or comparable country contexts.
- Strong experience building capacity, supervising and mentoring staff and partners, including facilitating training.
- In-depth understanding of the health, political, social and cultural context of Nigeria.
- Experience working effectively with Government and donors.
- Excellent computer skills, including in Excel and in at least one statistical software package, preferably Stata, alternatively SPSS or R; knowledge of other data software an advantage, such as mapping software
- Excellent level of spoken and written English
The MPHDS should hold an MSc in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, research methods or other relevant subjects and at least 10 year’s proven experience in a relevant context. We are looking for someone with a successful record of achievement in the leadership of malaria M&E activities. The right candidate will have a deep understanding and knowledge of health systems and challenges in Nigeria’s response to malaria elimination, M&E systems and demonstrated success in building capacity at a Government level and effective working relationships with Goverments and donors. Nigerian nationals are encouraged to apply.
The closing date for applications is Monday 19th March 2018.
Send a motivation letter and up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm (in Nigeria) on Monday, 19th March 2018. The title of your email should be the full job title.
Interviews will be held between on the 26th and 27th March 2018; only candidates selected for the interview stage will be contacted. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in working with us.