The British Council is the world's leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
Job Title: Programme Officer - Adamawa
Region Sub Saharan Africa
Department Education & Society
Job Category Project Management
Pay Band Locally appointed Grade G
Vacancy Description Pay band: 6/G /Location: Adamawa, Nigeria / Contract type: Fixed Term Contract / Post Duration: Till December 2020 / Eligibility: Right to live and work in Nigeria / Possible start date: Immediately / Deadline for application: 20 April 2018 (23:59 UK Time)
The British Council in Nigeria is implementing the European Union Conflict Management in Nigeria programme under their Trust Fund (EUTF) and the Rule of Law and Anti-Corruption programme in Nigeria under their Development Fund programme (EUDF). We are in the process of agreeing with the EU to deliver the Agents for Citizen-driven Transformation under the development fund. In partnership with COFFEY, we are delivering the Policing work under their Conflict Stability and Security Fund (CSSF) and have plans to position ourselves for DFID’s forthcoming Anti-Corruption in Nigeria (ACorN) programme. To support our existing contracts as well as all future contracts, we are developing flexible structures that meet the global British Council standards to provide support to all our Full Cost Recovery (FCR) (Justice, Security and Conflict) work in Nigeria.
To this end, we require a Programme Officer in Adamawa who will be responsible for managing the administrative and logistical support to programme activities to ensure quality and timeliness of delivery; good control of resources and compliance with agreed programme management systems and processes; ensuring full and complete budgets are prepared and met for all activities with variance reports prepared as and when required; utilize Monitoring and Evaluation tools for measuring results and impacts during the programme lifespan.
The post holder must therefore have the ability to work in an ambiguous and difficult environment in which British Council processes need to be adapted or developed to cope with unusual requirements and difficult context. The post holder will work closely with the programme delivery and management teams as well as having significant interactions with the technical teams and Nigerian partners.
Read below if this is of interest:
Main duties include:
- Participate in component/output/state level meetings and other operational activity as necessary to support activity and develop a detailed knowledge of component strategies, personnel and plans.
- Support to the strategic and technical development of the result areas, by contributing own technical knowledge and experience, research and background information towards planning and development processes.
- Develop and manage detailed financial costing for planned activities; ensure the timely provision of funds through effective financial administration; event expenditure against agreed budgets; reconcile and report on actual expenditure against forecasts for specific activities.
- Supports and actively monitor/manage delivery against schedules and milestones, while ensuring timely production of the deliverable outputs.
- Manage the financial and logistical preparations for workshops, training courses and other events including close liaison with other team members and external contacts to coordinate bookings for venues, accommodation, per diem payments and reimbursement of expenses.
- Actively supports the process of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), collate, file and edit a variety of programme documents in support of M&E and Knowledge Management efforts.
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Qualifications and requirements
- Graduate level education.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with an international organization.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Experience of working as part of a successful team/function.
- Experience of scheduling and supporting meetings with internal stakeholders / external partners.
If you would like to see full details and understand more about this post, then please see the documents below:
Role Profile: Programme Officer - Adamawa
BC Core Skills.pdf
If you are interested in the post and feel that you have the relevant skills, knowledge and experience for the role, then we would really like to hear from you.
Closing date for applications: 20 April 2018 (23:59 UK Time)
Note that you should only fill out the application after thoroughly reading through the ROLE PROFILE & GUIDANCE NOTES. There is some important information you don’t want to miss.
The British Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect diversity of our society at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. In line with the British Council’s Child Protection policy, any appointment is contingent on thorough checks.
- Type: Nonprofit
- Headquarters: 20 Thompson Avenue PO Box 53702, Falomo Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria
The British Council was established in 1934 and has been in Nigeria since 1943. We currently operate from offices in Abuja, Kano, Lagos and Port-Harcourt and continue to engage in cultural relations w...Know More about British Council Nigeria
Employees said "Its the "BEST" place to work".