Health Initiatives for Safety and Stability in Africa (HIFASS) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) incorporated in October 2007. HIFASS was primarily established as a continued effort of the Nigeria Ministry of Defence Health services to provide strategic manpower needs of the Military health facilities so as to meet the health needs of Military personnel, their families and the population around military health facilities, especially for the control of HIV epidemic and other related diseases
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Cross River
Reports To: Program Manager
Job Type: 6 months
- Over the years HIFASS has provided manpower and associated technical support to PEPFAR HIV/AIDS program and Research activities, USAID and World Bank funded projects in Nigeria and further more played a role in the management of personnel services.
- The Protection and Assistance to the Cameroonian Refugees is a UNHCR project aimed at providing quality services for health care, nutrition and WASH intervention in some LGAs in Cross River and Benue state.
- Therefore, HIFASS seeks professionals who will ensure beneficiaries are safe, healthy and empowered for improved health outcomes and resilience.
Purpose of Position
- The WASH Officer will support the UNHCR Country Operation, in coordination with the Government, to assess needs and coordinate the provision of WASH services to persons of concern to UNHCR. This will include WASH contingency and preparedness planning, assessment and development of long term WASH Strategy and operational plans
- Coordination or WASH partners in conjunction with the government authorities, and monitoring progress of WASH programme implementation to ensure that an adequate level of WASH service is provided at each site in accordance with the UNHCR WASH Manual and Technical Guidelines, and applicable UNHCR Standards and/or National Standards.
Leadership and Coordination:
- Lead the delivery of WASH services for refugees to meet the UNHCR standards and / or the national WASH standards, depending on the context.
- Act as a focal point for WASH issues within UNHCR active refugee settlements.
- Coordinate the activities of WASH Partners, together with other agencies, governmental and non-governmental counterparts and local authorities to ensure delivery of WASH services to beneficiaries meet UNHCR standards of assistance, depending on the context.
WASH Strategy, Planning and Programme Support:
- Actively participate in drafting WASH strategies, and operational plans for UNHCR WASH programme at the country level.
- Jointly with technical staff of implementing partners and other WASH actors, update detailed needs and resource assessments and revise designs of technical plans as necessary, taking into account practical aspects of implementation, long-term sustainable solutions, and relevant technical specifications and guidelines.
- Advise and assist the UNHCR programme staff on the development of WASH aspects of the programme including planning, budgeting and input to financial management of the programme.
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building:
- Provide technical guidance and support to partners on all water, sanitation, hygiene promotion related issues, to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and impact soundness in their implementation and in accordance with UNHCR policies, standards and priorities.
- Facilitate capacity strengthening activities of national UNHCR WASH staff and, if applicable, of staff of implementing/operational partners to address key areas of WASH importance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Assurance:
- Supervise and monitor the implementation of the ongoing water, sanitation, hygiene projects administered directly by UNHCR and its partners.
- Ensure that mechanisms to monitor the performance of UNHCRs partners on WASH activities in the refugee camps / settlements / host community are in place.
- Ensure that the WASH Monitoring System data collection and reporting is carried out systematically, properly and timely with quality information
- Report regularly on WASH activity implementation by all WASH partners, while maintaining accurate records of all relevant WASH performance indicators.
- Prepare regular sectorial reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports as required by the office at country level.
- Maintaining regular contact with the WASH Unit regarding all technical matters.
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Masters
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Required Qualifications/Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Civil/Environmental/Water/Public Health Engineering or related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant professional or international experience
- Proficiency in English is required.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their current Curriculum Vitaes and Cover letters to "The Assistant Director, Human Resources (HIFASS)" in only one attachment (MS word document) and indicate the title of the position and choice of location (e.g Cross River State, Benue) as the subject of the mail.
Note: Only shortlisted applicant will be invited for interview and HIFASS will not cover any cost for invited shortlisted candidates.