Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Job Title: Area Project Manager
Location: Monguno, Borno
About the program
Action Against Hunger-USA has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
The main objectives of the country program are to continue building on Action Against Hunger-USA reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated Nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload Northern Nigeria States, build evidence from our pilot projects and influence policy makers to find long lasting solution to under nutrition and hunger, while responding to the dire humanitarian situation created by the devastating conflict on-going in the North East. This will be done through applying, where possible, attempts to find durable solutions in line with the New ways of Working and Humanitarian Development Nexus.
The Nigeria mission program has a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger-USA-USA runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the ongoing conflict. We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 Third Country Nationals) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA & FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
- We are looking for a highly skilled, creative Area Project Manager, to ensure proper implementation and completion of FFP Project in Monguno operational areas.
- Ensuring proper implementation and completion of FFP Project in Monguno operational area throughout all its different phases as well as the appropriate management of its specific scope, schedule, resources, quality, risks, representation, coordination and contractual requirements.
- Management of the entire project(s) cycle in the implementation area.
- Finalize and manage the update and implementation of the Project(s)’ Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP).
- Develop detailed monthly/weekly implementation plans for your staff in order to achieve the activities in the DIP.
- In coordination with the Senior Project Manager, contribute to the development and update of the Project(s) Scope Documents (PSDs), Detailed Implementation plan, Project Supply plan, Monitoring and evaluation plan, etc. as well as ensuring regular update of these documents in order to maintain a strong record of the project(s).
- Ensure contractual activities are completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
- Ensure that the project(s) is being implemented as per donor regulations.
- Stay abreast of, and manage field operations as to, the prevailing security, cultural and social situation as per the guidance of the field coordinator.
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues and inform senior management accordingly.
- Identify and assign additional activities as required in coordination with the technical departments.
- Regular field visits to monitor the activities and their quality in compliance with proposals and in liaison with M&E department.
Manage and Develop the Project(s) Team:
- Ensure that all project(s) staff are provided with a full induction and are briefed on all relevant components of the project(s).
- Keep staff aware of any changes in the project(s) and in the wider organization.
- Identify need based trainings and work with HR team to develop, plan and implement relevant training plans for each team member.
- Define objectives, update staff job descriptions and facilitate regular performance appraisals with support of the HR team.
- Ensure the provision of updated records and reviews for team personnel reviews and records.
- Ensure availability of staff for necessary recruitment steps (shortlist, technical interview, placement interviews etc. ) staff as required by the HR recruitment Manage recruitment of new staff as required.
- Manage conflict resolution and motivation exercises with the project(s) team in a proactive manner.
- Track and manage team attendance.
- Motivate, coordinate and supervise teams, providing continuous organizational support to staff and conducting regular field visits.
Maintain Comprehensive Records and Report in a Timely Manner:
- Develop a data collection and entry plan complete with tools and timeline that is integrated into the PSDs and DIPs (if not already included) in line with the Mission M&E structure and strategy.
- Produce weekly, monthly and quarterly internal and external reports as requested.
- Track the progress of activities and outcomes as well as ensuring the tracking of relevant indicators.
- Completion of quality MEAL reports.
- Participate in the bi-weekly coordination meetings, or other ad hoc internal meetings as requested.
Assist in Wider Organizational Development through Learning:
- Develop systematic mechanism for lesson learned about the programs to provide information to conduct advocacy activities, with periodic field visits to other project(s)s to strengthen across mission information and best practice sharing; and encourage the development of innovative approach.
- Produce regular success stories on project implementation.
- Highlight areas of improvement within the DIPs and PSDs.
- Support wider learning by leading on project(s) based learning and research.
Min Required Experience: 2 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
- You have Bachelor equivalent in International Development, Political or Social Science, Economics, Business Administration or related field. Masters degree is preferred.
- You have proven multisector project cycle management experience at a senior level for at least 2 years in an INGO.
- You have excellent management, organizational, motivational and leadership skills .
- You have demonstrated experience in financial management and preparation of budgets for programming .
- You have experience in managing medium to large-sized teams.
- You have problem management capacity.
- You have familiarity with USAID FFP reporting and regulations.
- You have planning and analysis capacity.
- You have very good communication & training skills.
- You have good analytical skills.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently & as a member of a team.
- You are fluent in written & spoken English.
- You are committed to gender equity and equality.
- You have a genuine interest in & commitment to the principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Your work style builds confidence with others, and you believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
Our Core values
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity-we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
- Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities