Job title: Program Director – Based outside Lagos
Who We Are
Bridge believes every child has the right to high quality education and works in partnership with governments, communities, parents and teachers to deliver education to over 100,000 children in underserved communities across Africa and Asia.
Bridge leverages in-depth teacher training and support, advanced lesson plans and wireless technology to provide pupils with a meaningful and life-changing education.
Globally, there is an education crisis. Around 263 million children and young people are not in school and the number of primary school aged children not in school is increasing. Bridge is committed to helping tackle this through a data driven, evidence based approach that delivers strong schools and a great education for all.
The Bridge Approach
Education is in crisis in many countries around the world. It is estimated that 264 million children and young people are out of school, and 330 million children are in school but not learning. In addition, an extra 69 million teachers are needed to achieve the 2030 UN education goals.
Many education systems are plagued with inadequate materials and poor management systems, all leading to chronic teacher absenteeism and a lack of learning. Education reform is challenging but it is urgently required if we are to prevent another generation of children missing out. So, we work in partnership with governments, NGOs and non-state actors to address the huge education imbalance between what is available and what is needed right now — we work to bridge the gap.
We believe parents have the right to choose a school for their children and we enable families to enjoy seeing their children learn, improve and flourish at Bridge schools. We locate our schools in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the world. Families in our communities can be earning just $1.90 per person a day; a level the World Bank notes is at extreme poverty. By putting learning at the centre of all we do, Bridge has become an extremely popular choice for underserved families and low-income communities.
With plans to enrol ten million students ten years from now, Bridge offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting and ambitious social enterprises, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
About the role
The Program Director is responsible for providing overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components, functions and stakeholders, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract. You will be responsible for leading and overseeing the development, delivery and day-to-day management of a high quality, innovative, cost effective and sustainable Education program resulting in immediate and lasting change for children and build the capacity of the duty bearers.
This is a highly hands-on job, involving intense program management, broad technical knowledge covering financial management, supply chain, government relations and school operations management. For this role, we need someone who has the experience of managing highly complex and large programs with a lean team coupled with a deep passion for Bridge’s mission. Leadership, humility and self-awareness are a must to be successful. This is an incredibly fast-paced and absorbing role that will ask a lot of you but it will also be personally rewarding in that you will see the impact of your efforts first hand.
What you will do:
- Be the primary liaison with the SUBEB director and his or her representatives, responding to client needs within the limits of the arrangement
- Lead and manage the project team – providing the vision, day-to-day coordination, resource management, and supervision required to accomplish project objectives and to deliver superior quality products
- Ensure quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided, including necessary adjustments to operations to fit the requirements of Bridge
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate program adjustments
- Ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the program team and other Bridge function heads
- Work closely with technical shared services teams across Bridge, implementing on best practices and using core IP
- Collaborate with colleagues to solve problems and build a learning environment within the organization.
Min Required Experience: 10 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
What You Should Have:
- Master’s degree in public policy, education, or related field in social sciences.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience working in project management and design in developing countries, preferably including experience in the state to which you will be assigned.
- At least five (5) years of management experience, including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams working in multi-faceted roles including field based roles
- Prior experience within a fast-paced, metric driven consulting or educational organization will be an advantage
- Strong management skills, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to build or access key contacts within the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEEB) or equivalent local and state regulatory bodies
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors, consortium members and other stakeholders, at national and sub-national levels.
- Respect and sensitivity towards cultural, gender, ethnicity and religious diversity
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with high ranking official of government institutions, international institutions and non- government institutions
- Demonstrated excellent communications and writing abilities and superior interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building Ministry of Education and devolved structures capacity in developing and realizing education strategic plans to provide quality Education services is a plus
- Passion for Bridge’s vision of democratizing the right for all children to succeed
You Are Also:
Proactive – You don’t always need supervision and you are a self-starter. Your personal drive to succeed and deliver keeps you working when you may not have a supervisor with you.
A detailed doer - You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
A networking mastermind - You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
A creative problem-solver - Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging around $7 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
A malleable learner - You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.