Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Area Programme Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- DRC is looking for a driven, pro-active and innovative Area Programme Manager (APM) who can take on responsibility for a broad range of interesting emergency and stabilization/recovery programmes. This role will be crucial in the delivery of DRC’s integrated emergency response packages, engaging actively with and managing cross-sectorial activities with the DRC Protection, Livelihood, WASH/Shelter, Food Security and M&E teams
- The duty station will be Maiduguri (Borno State), where the Program Manager will supervise and coordinate a range of activities across rapid emergency response to first and second line emergency response, through towards stabilization and recovery.
- The role includes assessment (RNA, RPA, MSA) and response teams, in close linkage with the M&E Unit, under the overall leadership of the Area Manager, Borno and Yobe State and technical relationships with Protection Coordinator, Food Security Manager, WAHS/SNFI Manager, M&E Coordinator and Livelihood Coordinator
- The position will have a key role in the field-level management of cross-sector teams, initially providing gap filing role for technical managers who are staying away from Borno, but in the medium to long term taking over full management responsibility for all projects in the state. Establishing local networks to ensure information about humanitarian needs is shared in an effective, timely and protection-sensitive manner
- The APM will be responsible to ensure effective data collection, community engagement, production of reports and data from assessments and effective communication on the results to enable rapid responses to urgent and ongoing humanitarian crises across broad geographic areas
- The APM will also be key in ensuring a close link to the Safety Unit to discuss new locations and ensure appropriate measures are taken for access and safety on assessment and response missions
- The APM also be key in ensuring a close link to supports’ teams at Maiduguri base level to discuss all the finance, logistics, procurement and human resources related issues.
Immediate Scope of Role:
- Directly line manage Livelihoods and M&E Teams in Borno State
- Plan daily, weekly and monthly tasks of the livelihoods and M&E teams
- Follow-up file implementation to ensure planned activities are deliver with the best quality
- Organize and implement PDMs and other relevant programme assessments
- Compile monthly and quarterly implementation reports
- Budget expenditure planning for department of coverage
- Support the Area Manager and HoP to expand DRC programme portfolio in Yobe State through various fund-raising initiatives including concept and proposal development
Medium to Long Term Scope of the Role:
Multi-sectorial / rapid needs assessments:
- Monitor the humanitarian situation in the areas of operation and contribute to the prioritization of areas of intervention;
- Compile, review and disseminate multi-sectorial assessment reports internally and externally;
- Present summary results of multi-sectorial assessments during external coordination meetings as requested by the EC;
- Supervise the conduction of RA, MSA and RPA remotely and in the field, depending on security situation and needs;
- Oversee development and correct implementation of tools and methodologies for assessments;
- Suggest improvements to the tools and methodologies depending on context and field-testing.
- Ensure effective community engagement and safety analysis for responses according to needs identified in protection, Food security, WASH/Shelter, Protection and M&E, while linking with other sectors within DRC (AVR/MRE and NTS);
- Ensure appropriate selection of beneficiaries or areas to be targeted following technical methodologies defined by relevant Coordinators and with the agreement/support of local communities.
Ensure appropriate implementation of the activities in the four (4) sectors under his/her responsibility:
- Food Security: general food distribution and blanket supplementary feeding program.
- WASH/Shelter: water points and sanitation facilities construction and operational maintenance, hygiene Kits’ distribution and hygiene promotion.
- Livelihood: SME development, Cash Transfer, Community based agriculture production and poultry farming.
- Protection: identification/referral/follow-up of cases with specific vulnerabilities, trainings on protection mainstreaming, community-based protection initiative.
- Ensure appropriate M&E support is provided to the programme
- Work closely with all the supports teams in Maiduguri and Yobe base level (Logistics, Procurement, HR and Finance) to ensure that the required means are available on time to implement activities following established workplan.
- Be the focal point for interacting with other programs/activities implemented in Borno and Yobe State level;
- Liaise with the Protection Coordinator, WASH/Shelter- Coordinator, Livelihoods Coordinator, Food Security Coordinator and M&E Coordinator to get required technical inputs to match good quality standards for the respective activities under his/her responsibility.
- Line manage national staff, conducting performance reviews, setting objectives and ensuring expected performance criteria are met;
- Adapt the team structure according to needs, resources and capacities if required, with support technical coordinators as required.
- Develop job descriptions and recruit qualified staff (national) for the relevant position under Programme sector
- Ensure high quality project implementation in accordance with donor and DRC regulations as well as in line with agreed log frames/indicators, budgets, procurement plans, and work plans;
- Review BFUs regarding activities/projects under his/her responsibility and check the good budget allocation of the related costs. Update Budget tracking tools and update the area Managers on burn-rate with clear work plans to the end of the Project
- Ensure monthly program review with Area Managers and Coordinator in terms of Budget (BFU/TDL), activity plan review, lesson learnt including planning forecast for the next period
- Attend coordination meetings in Maiduguri and Yobe as necessary or specified by the Area Manager and Coordinators.
- Pro-actively coordinate with other NGOs working in areas of intervention in Borno and Yobe State
- Support field staff to develop contacts and coordinate closely with stakeholders including local authorities, security actors, community representatives and CBOs where relevant to establish supportive networks and channels of communication.
Safety, Access and Logistics:
- Work closely with the Safety Unit to share local contacts, to ensure appropriate security plans for field missions are in place, and to discuss support needs for new areas of intervention;
- Develop contact networks in area of operation for coordination on alerts, assessments and responses;
- Contribute to Access and Safety SOPs;
Monitoring, Accountability and Reporting:
- Ensure that all activities are included in project M&E plans and supervise the implementation. Ensure key lessons learned are incorporated in new project proposals.
- Make recommendations to the Area Manager and the Coordinators on improvement of response relevance, efficiency, appropriateness, timeliness and accountability
- Oversee the implementation of recommendations in order to ensure continuous improvement of interventions;
- Ensure correct application of accountability, protection and age, gender and diversity-related protocols during assessments and implementation of activities through training and updating of protocols and methodologies;
- Maintain close links with M&E Coordinator for the assessments and responses;
- Include the participation of beneficiaries and communities, particularly those most vulnerable or at-risk, in all stages of the project cycle where appropriate
- The responsibilities listed in the Job Description are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role
- To be successful in this role we expect you to be honest, able to manage a team, strongly motivated by humanitarian work, disciplined and team-oriented.
Min Required Experience: 5 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Degree in Sociology, International Development, Economics or Management from a reputable or recognize University.
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in Managing program in humanitarian context and experience in complex emergencies and high-security environments
- Experience of access management in a high-security context, demonstrated ability to liaise with a variety of stakeholders in a professional and adaptive manner, including security actors and local authorities.
- Working experiences with at least 3 of the 4 sectors to be covered by the position (Food Security, M&E, Livelihood and Protection).
- Master degree in social sciences or in any of the technical sectors to be covered by this position (internal development, Food Security, WASH, Shelter & NFIs and Protection).
- Solid experience in staff management in a cross-cultural environment required
- Strong experience in conducting large scale distributions in remote locations with limited humanitarian presence
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Proficiency in common computer packages and financial software i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc.
- Must show ability to work in an isolated and challenging environment.
- Strong reporting, report-writing and assessment skills.
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations.
- Previous working experience as Program Manager for multiple sector
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Understanding of Nigerian context and local dynamics is desirable
- Availability: 01/09/2018
- Salary and conditions: A14
Application Closing Date
14th August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Use link to apply online
Candidates should their an updated CV's and Cover Letter explaining the suitability for the position.
Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”.
- Type: Nonprofit
- Headquarters: Borgergade 10, 3rd floor 1300 Copenhagen K.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries.Formed after the Second World War, and in response to...Know More about Danish Refugee Council (drc)