United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Project Finance, Administrative and Procurement Assistant
Job ID: 19669
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: Initial duration of one year
The conflict between the herders and farmers in Nigeria has been identified as the single most widely spread peace and security threat, affecting 19 out of the 36 states, by a recent Strategic Conflict Assessment (SCA) report carried out by the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR), Nigeria has continued to register huge casualties and tension throughout almost all states of the Federation on a recurrent basis
Most reported in the Middle Belt and adjacent states (particularly the states of Benue, Plateau, Kaduna and Nasarawa) between herdsmen and local farmers, the clashes over farmland and/or pasture, have increasingly taken religious undertones (Muslims versus Christians), with religious leaders publicly exchanging accusations, as well as ethnic connotations (indigenes versus settlers) and stereotypes that have heightened tensions, a development which has further polarized communities and complicated efforts at mitigating the violence. The conflict also undermines food security, encourages the proliferation of small arms and light weapons and infringes on indigenous rights.
Government Committees set up to address the conflict as well as independent researchers and experts have put forward various recommendations to tackle the herder-farmer crisis. These recommendations revolve around the re-establishment of security in the rural areas through more effective control on the proliferation of arms, establishment of pastures and or grazing reserves, banning of open grazing and enhancing conflict resolutions measures.
This project seeks to support Benue, Nasarawa and Taraba states in addressing the farmer-herder crisis through enhancing their preventive capacities by promoting dialogue and proactive engagement; building mutually beneficial economic relationships between farmers and herders; improving the effectiveness of the security response through strengthened human rights monitoring and accountability; and providing an impartial and evidence-based narrative to defuse the politicized debate and help mobilize a broader response.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under overall guidance of the Team Leader, Governance and Peacebuilding and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Project Finance, Administrative and Procurement Assistant will be required to provide hands-on support to the project planning, implementation, documentation, smooth financial application and payment of the project costs.
Specifically, the Project Finance, Administrative and Procurement Assistant will, among others, be required to perform the following tasks:
- Provide technical support to the project and the concerned implementing partners with regards to planning of project activities;
- Provide technical support to the project and the concerned implementing partners on financial application and payment of project cost, with frequent visits to their office and communication when and as required;
- Travel to Northern Nigeria to support preparation of meetings, payment of participants and to ensure appropriate documentation;
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Coordinator as the supervisor.
- Facilitate auditing and financial controls with respect to the Project;
- Ensure that all procurements and disbursements are carried out in accordance with the UNDP requirements;
- Implementation of procurement related to the project.
- Ensure that project related disbursements are carried out in a timely and efficient manner;
- Compile the monthly, quarterly and annual financial report in a timely manner, with a focus on the financial delivery of the project;
- Maintain a logical and comprehensive record of financial transactions, with supporting documentation, for reference and audit purposes;
- Provide the necessary assistance and documentation for the statutory audit of annual financial statements;
- Perform all other duties as requested by the Project Coordinator;
- Perform any other duty relevant to the assignment
- Ensure that office equipment and furniture are procured for and maintain in good working order;
- Responsible for meeting agendas and booking of meetings venue and related workshops;
- Responsible for Vehicle fleet management;
- Support project reporting needs:
- Perform other duties as requested by the Project Coordinator and relevant to the project.
- Completion of the Annual Procurement Plan for the Project and submitting them to the online platform of UNDP;
- Maintenance of the filing system in the procurement items.
- Raise procurement requisitions and budget check via Atlas
- Follow up with service centre on procurement processes
- Follow up with Vendors on delivery of purchase orders
- Generating procurement reports via Atlas to prepare procurement trend analysis
- Prepare TORs for the hire of Individual Contracts and follow up with Service Centre with hiring process
- Undertake any additional tasks as assigned by the direct supervisor.
Min Required Experience: 5 year(s)
Min Qualification: Bachelor's Degree/HND
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Required Skills and Experience
- At least a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration and any other related field;
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international development organization
- At least five (5) years’ work experience in accounting and or administration, of which there is knowledge of support to UNDP project/ program activities;
- Capable of working independently;
- Knowledge of UNDP procurement policies and principles; understanding the use of Atlas is an advantage
- Experience in UNDP program finance, accounting and administration
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in English;
- Good computer skills and proficiency in standard computer applications (MS Word, MS Excel, etc.).
- Support the preparation of information for advocacy:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Resource Mobilization:
- Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Research and Analysis:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Client Orientation:
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Application Closing Date
17th November, 2018.