Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Facilitation of State-level ASRHR Trainings
Ref No: 190000AH
Locations: Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reporting: The facilitators report to REACH ASRH Advisor in SCI Nigeria country office, but will work primarily with the ASRH Coordinator at the state level.
Duration of Consultancy: 20 non-consecutive days from February to April 2019
- Save the Children (SC) Nigeria is implementing Reaching and Empowering Adolescents to make informed Choices for their Health (REACH) in Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states in Northern Nigeria
REACH project aims to improve access to:
- High quality, gender-responsive and adolescent-friendly SRH services for unmarried and married adolescent girls and boys;
- Increase the decision-making of married and unmarried girls about their SRH and rights; and
- Improve the integration of civil society contributions and evidence-based best practices in ASRHR policy design and implementation at local and state levels.
Overview of Assigned Tasks
- REACH project adapted various existing training manuals to produce a gender-responsive ASRH&R training curriculum for the training of public and private services providers; the curriculum was validated and used to train about 30 stakeholders as trainer-of-trainers (TOT) in preparation for the step-down trainings at the LGAs and community levels
- REACH therefore, is sourcing for three consultants to support the step-down trainings at the state and LGA levels for key ASRH&R services providers based at the health facility and the communities.
Plan and support the state-based step-down trainings in Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states:
- Each consultant working with the ASRH Desk officer/MCH Coordinator at the SMOH/SPHCDA, the RH/FP Coordinator at the LGA level and REACH ASRH Coordinator will:
- Agree with the state the preferred training days/dates and times
- Develop selection criteria for participants
- Co-facilitate the specific training in Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states.
- Make presentations as may be assigned during the training by the ASRH Coordinator, MCH Coordinator and ASRH Advisor
- Assess trainees using project designed assessment forms.
- Disaggregate training modules/contents for Health workers (N/midwives, CHEWs), safe space facilitators and PPMVs.
- Develop prototype supportive supervisory schedules to be adapted by the different cadres of health workers and community-based ASRH services providers
- Support workshop participants during skills demonstration and return demonstration as well as during didactic session
- Collaborate with the ASRH Advisor; ASRH Coordinators and state-based facilitators on all issues relating to the training to add value to the workshop.
- Collaborate with the ASRH Coordinator in the state of assignment to draft a training report
Expected Outcomes of all trainings:
- Knowledge, skills and attitude of health care workers from project health facilities and private providers developed
- Capacity of public and private health care workers, developed to provide quality ASRH&R services to VYA and older adolescents
- Action plans for initiating ASRH&R services including microplans for outreaches developed per facility.
- Increased pool of ASRH&R services providers in Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states
- Support all the under-listed trainings
- End of training report for each training within five working days after the training
- Comprehensive end-of-consultancy report due end of April 2019
List of REACH Project Training Plans:
- Each facilitator will support the following trainings in agreement with the state for the preferred order, training days/dates and times
- Train the health workers on Supply chain management & Contraceptive logistics Management System (CLMS)
- Train the health workers on Supportive supervision & Outreach services
- Train LGA level staff (PHC Director and team) on supportive supervision and the development of micro-plans for supervision
- Training of Safe Space Facilitators on ARSHR and life skills curriculum (Health facility-based)
- Training of Safe Space Facilitators on ARSHR and life skills curriculum (community-based)
- Train private providers on provider bias and identification on ASRHR danger signs and referral-
- Duration of Consultancy: 20 non-consecutive days from February to April 2019
Min Required Experience: Not Specified
Min Qualification: Masters
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Key Skills and Experience
- Advanced Degree in Nursing or Health Sciences, Public Health, Sociology, Medicine.
- Familiarity with adolescent sexual and reproductive health, including family planning, antenatal care, and safe delivery services, supportive supervision including contraceptive logistic management system (CLMS)
- Excellent facilitation, communication, writing and presentation skills
- Excellent participatory adult-learning training approaches.
- Proven ability to produce analytical reports
- Ability to travel to LGAs and rural communities in the assigned state
- Fluent spoken Hausa language is required
Application Closing Date
15th February, 2019.