CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer
Location: Gashua, Yobe State with regular visits to Sub Offices
- Responsible for VSLA Project, the Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer will design implement cost effective, innovative robust MEAL system. The MEAL officer will continually review the practicality and effectiveness and suggest modifications as necessary of the MEAL system.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility #1: Supervision and Management of Direct Report:
- Assist the Program Manager to manage, train and develop the Monitoring and Evaluation team
- Identify direct reports capacity development needs and in consultation with the VSLA Managers
- Guide direct reports prepare performance plans and appraise them in consultation with the Sector Manager and HR staff.
- Support HR in staff recruitment
% of Time -15%:
Job Responsibility #2 - Develop an appropriate MEAL system in line with the VSLA objectives:
- Continually examine specific project output components to be monitored and evaluated.
- Develop monitoring, accountability and reporting tools for the respective projects’ and programs’ outputs, suggest modifications and develop new and appropriate tools as necessary.
- Provide routine guidance on field testing and use of new innovative monitoring tools as they are developed and refine them for VSLA use.
% of Time - 20%
Job Responsibility #3 - Facilitate the implementation of VSLA project and MEAL system and ensure accuracy of data and information collected:
- Take the lead in training all VSLA team in the understanding and use of all monitoring and reporting tools.
- Review field reports to ensure that they respond to the projects objectives and comply with sector indicators.
% of Time - 15%:
Job Responsibility #4 - Ensure VSLA data and information collected are analyzed and made accessible to the management in a form usable for decision-making:
- Establish a filing system for various program activities to ensure easy retrieval of information as and when needed.
- Develop an appropriate project data base of the sector to facilitate processing of required information.
- Continually analyze the VSLA project field data to verify status as and when necessary, and produce daily, weekly, monthly/quarterly data computation and analysis reports for use by project/project management.
- Verify the validity of field data by making routine field visits to check adherence to agreed data collection methods and authenticity of collected information.
- Documentations of lessons learnt, good practices and support in writing refereed papers for publication
% of Time - 25%:
Job Responsibility #5 - Supervision, Liaison and collaboration with other projects, and agencies (e.g. UN, INGOs, State and Local Government Area (LGA):
- Supervise, review and coordinate contracted consultants and any other persons assigned to MEAL officer
- Facilitate collaboration on MEAL with other agencies in the region to ensure uniformity in tracking of the program indicators.
- Promote good PR and enhance CARE’s positive image during presentations
- Perform any other monitoring and evaluation duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
% of Time - 20%
Job Responsibility #6:
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Senior Managers or her/his designate
% of Time: 5%:
- Problem Solving (Thinking Environment)
There are three levels of problem-solving:
- What has to be done and how to do it are clearly defined, and the incumbent will face identical or similar problems on a regular basis;
- What has to be done is known, but how to do it is not defined. The incumbent must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategy to address a given problem; and
- Why things are done is known, but what has to be done and how to do it are not defined.
Situations are variable and the incumbent’s response will involve analysis, problem definition, development of alternatives, and making recommendations. She will face and address problems that are typically non-recurring.
Min Required Experience: 3 year(s)
Min Qualification: Masters
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Qualifications (Know How)
- Minimum 1st degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Agricultural Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Database Management
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in M&E
- Competent in use and application of SPSS
- Excellent experience on conducting quantitative and qualitative research, studies, assessment from start to end including dissemination of findings to a wide range of diverse audience.
- Master's Degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience on MEAL in the field of development
- Masters in social science, disaster management, development studies or relevant discipline
- Good understanding of the country’s humanitarian context, empowering and advocacy issues in Nigeria
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of MEAL Framework, tools and indicator setting
- Evidence-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks and programs, with emphasis on participatory and partnership-based MEAL approaches
- Strong knowledge of IT applications and development – especially spreadsheets and database management
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and good report-writing skills
- Previous experience working with an INGO or a Development organization.
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- Familiarity with project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation
- Organized and able to manage own time under guidance and direction from line-manager
- Commitment to CARE’s overall aims and beliefs, including strong commitment to gender, diversity issues, equal opportunities and capacity building
- Strong interpersonal and self-awareness skills
- Ability and willingness to undertake extensive travel in the country
- Well-developed conceptual, critical, analytical thinking and planning skills
- Ability to take Initiative, drive to achieve results, ability to develop effective organizations Understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to humanitarian response work
- Ability to work effectively with others, adaptive and flexible.
- Strong level of autonomy to provide independent follow through on processing issues and concerns
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Detail oriented
- Strong team player
- Strong problem solving, analytical, operational, and coordinating abilities
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service focus and ability to work well with people from various backgrounds and cultures at all levels in organization.
- Accountable for the quality, accuracy and reliability of the Administrative system and respect of procedures.
- Accountable for the quality, accuracy and reliability of the accounting books.
- Internal: HR &, Administrative staff, Finance Staff, Sub-office Team, Project and Program team and Sector Managers, SMT.
- External: Vendors and service providers, Program participants, Donor and Partners
- 40% Gashua, Yobe office; 60% travel to other sub-offices and Main office.
Application Closing Date
10th October, 2019.
How to to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and detailed CV as a single document to: email@example.com Indicate clearly in the subject line of the email the Position you are applying for and the location (in Caps)
- Save your Application and CV with your name before attaching it
- CARE International in Nigeria, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, and race. Qualified women especially are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Conditions - By submitting your Application for this position you agreed to CARE’s ZERO Tolerance to: Fraud, Sexual Harassment, Exploitation, Abuse and Child Abuse
- Type: Nonprofit
- Headquarters: 1219 Chatelaine (Geneva) Switzerland
CARE is a major international humanitarian agency delivering emergency relief and long-term international development projects. Founded in 1945, CARE is nonsectarian, impartial, and non-governmental.&...Know More about Care International