Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, by providing comprehensive integrated response with food security, nutrition, health and protection projects in conflicts affected communities in Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: SMART Survey Consultant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Project Name: Nutrition SMART Survey
Reporting to: Medical Coordinator, Program Advisor
Start date: 1st November, 2019
End date: 30th November, 2019
Duration: 30 days
The overall objective of the survey is to determine the magnitude and severity of malnutrition and retrospective mortality rates amongst the under-five children in Bolori-II, Maiduguri Metropolitan city in Borno state, Nigeria. The specific objectives of the survey are:
- To determine the prevalence of malnutrition amongst children aged 6-59 months in Bolori-II, Maiduguri.
- To estimate retrospective mortality rates (both crude mortality rates (CMR) and Under-five mortality rates (U5MR)) in the target population.
- To estimate retrospective morbidity among children under five years.
- To determine the coverage of measles vaccination among 9-59 months aged children and Vitamin A supplementation status among 6-59 months aged children.
- To assess IYCF practices among the households with children under two years of age in the target population.
- To draw recommendations for addressing identified gaps to support on advocacy, planning, decision making and monitoring purposes.
Description of the Work
The consultancy is responsible for leading and conducting SMART Nutrition survey in Bolori-II, Maiduguri metropolitan city (MMC), Borno state Nigeria as per the national and international protocols of SMART methodology. The main tasks of the consultancy is included to:
- Develop and design SMART survey protocol, including sample size estimation, population size, clustering of the villages etc., and validate contextual tools using the SMART methodology.
- Responsible for the recruitment, training and managing the survey enumerators.
- Lead in the collection of the survey data through ensuring data quality measures are in place.
- Responsible for the cleaning and analysis of the survey data through using statistical packages (ENA 2015 version, EPI Info 3.5.4. and others).
- Prepare a draft Nutrition SMART survey report for review by PUI, ensuring that the assessment is comprehensive and includes all relevant indicators.
- Prepare a final report including background, methodology, results, limitations, conclusions and recommendations incorporating feedbacks from PUI staff on the draft report.
- Prepare and lead a validation workshop for SMOH and Nutrition sector in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria. This presentation outcome will be shared at State level via the Nutrition Sector and PUI HQ.
- The overall timeline to conduct the survey is a one month period (from November 1st –November 30th, 2019).
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Submit a survey protocol with detailed methodology plus training materials and data collection tools and Validate with PUI country team and HQ.
- Train the survey enumerators.
- Implement the SMART survey in Bolori-II, MMC, Borno state, Nigeria.
- Present a preliminary SMART survey report including background, methodology, results, limitations, conclusions and recommendations (short term and medium-term recommendations) to PUI on November 23rd, 2019.
- Submit the SMART survey final report incorporating the feedbacks from the PUI country team, PUI HQ, SMOH and Nutrition sector members on November 29th, 2019.
- Submit all the data and analysis outputs (both raw & final) electronically to PUI country team.
Min Required Experience: Not Specified
Min Qualification: Masters
Desired Courses: Not Specified
Job Qualifications and Required Skills
- Postgraduate degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Epidemiology, Statics or related discipline with at least more than five years of working experience.
- At least three years of proven experience in undertaking community-based studies particularly SMART methodology.
- Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing CMAM and IYCF programs.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Office and statistics packages i.e EPI INFO, ENA for SMART and SPSS.
- Excellent analytical and statistical skills.
- Strong communication skills, able to effectively present information clearly and respond appropriately to questions from PUI staff and other relevant stakeholders.
- Strong supervisory and organizational skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with stress; hardship; patience and flexibility.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field sites and nutrition facilities.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- The candidate must present an approved final report of the most recent SMART survey that he/she had conducted.
Application Closing Date
13th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates/consultants should submit a technical and financial proposal using the expression of interest form (EOI) which you can download using the link below to: firstname.lastname@example.org copying email@example.com Please put “Nutrition Smart Survey Consultancy in Maiduguri, Borno State’’ as the subject line of the mail.
Click Here to Download the Expression of Interest (EOI) Form - .docx
Note: This job is open to Nigerian Nationals only.