Cultivating New Frontiers in Agriculture (CNFA) is an international non-profit organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. and Brussels, Belgium with offices in 16 countries throughout Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe.
We work with businesses, foundations, governments and communities to build customized local and global partnerships that meet the world’s growing demand for food. Since our inception in 1985, we have designed and implemented enterprise-based, agricultural development initiatives to facilitate market access, enhance agribusiness competitiveness, increase productivity and improve access to inputs and credit across 45 countries worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Accountant
- Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Operations, the Accountant will lead preparation of the program’s expenditures and reporting system. She/he will be responsible for monitoring the overall financial reporting system.
- The Accountant will also prepare and present financial reports, analysis, and recommendations concerning relevant financial issues. Additionally, the Accountant will maintain the Accounts Payable Ledger and Check Register.
- The Accountant is responsible for maintaining accurate and complete record in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and CNFA Accounting and Financial Policies and Procedures.
- She/he also verifies all source documents for proper approval and documentation.
- The USAID/Nigeria Agribusiness Investment Activity is a 5-year year, $15 million-dollar project implemented by CNFA as part of the United States Government’s Feed the Future Initiative.
- The project’s goal is to strengthen the business enabling environment to promote private sector investment in agriculture. Activities will encompass three broad but interrelated components. First, the Agribusiness Investment Activity will improve the ease of doing business in the agricultural sector; second, the Activity will expand access to finance by mitigating the credit risks of agribusinesses; and third, the Activity will promote investment opportunities for agribusinesses to strengthen their readiness to expand and scale up their operations. Taken together, these efforts will increase the volume, added value, and diversification of agribusiness investments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct day-to-day accounting activities in compliance with CNFA policies and procedures and with Nigerian laws, including but not limited to:
- Maintaining the general ledger and all related accounts with proper documentation and records of all transactions; review of entries to the general ledger to assure accuracy and compliance with the company’s and established accounting principles;
- Prepare mandatory reports as required and respond to inquiries as necessary;
- Process monthly staff payroll, tax calculations and remittances;
- Maintain tax accounting and ensure due reporting to tax authorities;
- Undertake monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including the preparation of journal entries;
- Supervise monthly bank reconciliations for all accounts; verify accuracy of bank statements and maintain integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems;
- Maintain fixed asset records and determine depreciation terms/rates to apply to items;
- Maintain a computerized accounting system;
- Preparation of payment vouchers for signature and bank transfers, review of payment requests for format and accuracy;
- Draw-up service and employment contracts;
- Manage all personnel issues, including timesheets, leave reports and local benefits, and ensuring their confidentiality, maintain file of personnel records;
- Keep log of vehicle request forms, alongside with driver schedule and manage usage of office vehicle, request and maintain fuel inventory;
- Manage daily petty cash payments and cash reconciliation, including verifying support documentation; prepare petty cash replenishment/request documents;
- Prepare monthly funds request;
- Make and/or reconfirm all hotel, flight and travel arrangements, handle visa arrangements and car pick up;
- Process local travel expenses/reimbursements;
- Provide logistics for seminars, workshops and other special events; and
Other duties related with position and assigned by supervisor:
- Maintain Accounts Payable Ledger and Check Register;
- Monitor bank account balances (money market & operating accounts);
- Verify accuracy of expenses and expense reporting from sub-contractors;
- Verify vendor invoices for accuracy and run checks twice a week;
- Verify cash balance on a monthly basis;
- Review work on collections and advance repayments;
- Verify petty cash register;
- Review invoices for rent and other expenses;
- Maintenance of all equipment contracts and insurance policies;
- Prepare payroll processing;
- Develop, enhance, and maintain automated financial reporting systems to track financial performance of CNFA and its affiliates;
- Prepare the accounting functions in closing the books and reports;
- Work directly with external auditors on a variety of technical accounting issues
- Providing assistance with internal or external audit requirements.