Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Officer
Locations: Jigawa and Zamfara
Donor title: Administrative Officer
Length of contract: 2-years
Reporting to: Zonal Project Manager
Direct reports: Office Clerk, Driver
Country and project background
- The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded Support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 - 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 programmes and projects. It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control/elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
Malaria Consortium has recently been awarded funding from various private entities and foundations a to implement seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC) in three countries, including Nigeria, as a result of being rated a top charity by GiveWell Foundation for our work on SMC. The funds will support SMC implementation in 2018-2020 in selected LGAs in Jigawa, Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara states as a follow on to previous SMC campaigns funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Foundation, DFID and UNITAID.
Approved by WHO in 2012, SMC is the monthly administration of a combination sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine and amodiaquine (SP+AQ) to children aged 3-59 months during the malaria transmission season to prevent or reduce the effects malaria. Evidence suggests that SMC given monthly prevents approximately 75% of all malaria episodes.
- The purpose of this position is to provide Administrative support to State office of the SMC project (Jigawa or Zamfara). The officer will lead in the everyday administration of the office with support from the project staff
- Scope of work The State Administrative Officer under the guidance of the Zonal Project Manager will provide general Administrative and logistics support to the Program office and ensure efficient use, functioning and management of the office in line with MC policies. This will include to have an updated data bank of consultants, vendors and stakeholders.
- The officer will ensure an effective maintenance system of all office equipment, including generator, photocopiers, computers and its networks, printers and other office assets.
Key Working Relationships:
- The AO will support the SMC state project office and will reports to the Zonal Project Manager. S/He will work together with the state team and country office staff in planning, budget, scheduling and coordination of project activities. He will also liaise with relevant country office staff to ensure resources for scheduled activities are available on time and to required standard, this will include quantification of printed materials ensure logistics are put in place.
Office Administration - 70%:
- Provide and oversee the day to day administration of the office with support from staff
- Provide support to the team by overseeing the management and maintenance of the office assets, utilities, office equipment, consumables and supplies;
- Responsible for recording and updating of office assets in the asset register;Provide monthly reports on state activities as it relates to the admin, procurement and logistics to the office manager at the country office;
- Oversee the setting up of a filing system for the office, ensuring ease of storage and retrieval of documents;
- Responsible for the effective maintenance of all IT equipment and computer in the office
- Oversee all logistic arrangements including maintaining an updated record of events, travel itineraries of staff and short term consultants (as applicable) to ensure proper delivery and satisfaction of service to the project;
- Responsible for procurements of assets to the state offices in line with MC procurement policies as well as vendor management and other service providers contracting (including security and IT);
- Will ensure updated records and valid documentation all of vendors. And other service providers and consultants are registered on NAV;
- Responsible for negotiations with hotels, travel and transport services and oversee general logistics for field/state activities;
- Liaises with Country Office on administrative and logistics difficulties and other office maintenance issues;
- Provide support to the office driver, by providing supervision, coaching and mentoring in developing vehicle movement plan, implementation and review;
- The officer will check the vehicle log sheet and driver’s time sheet and sign off on them monthly;
Programme Activities - 30%:
- Support the coordination of internal and external stakeholder or technical meetings, workshops, seminars, including all travel and accommodations arrangements;
- Support the compilation of participants list (i.e. CHWs, health facility staff, team supervisors, ward supervisors, state, and LGA supervisors), during MDA and other project events
- Responsible for contracting short term consultants in state office in close communication with the HR manager at the country office and in line with the procurement policy;
- Coordinate the administration and logistics of the programme office on all field related activities in the state;
- In line with the programme budget and working closely with the finance officer, ensure value for money of all procurements for programme activities carried out in the state;