The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) received a loan from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) towards the cost of the Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP), and intends to use part of the proceed towards carrying out various consultancy and non consultancy service activities.
The VCDP hereby invites eligible/qualified individual consultants to express interest in offering the services below:
Agro Processing and Quality Enhancement Consultant
Specialization: Public Sector/Government , Consulting
Industry:Government / Defence
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 10 year(s)
Qualification: HND, Bachelor's Degree, PGD / Master's Degree
Location: Abuja, Enugu, Kogi, Nassarawa
- The VCDP is an investment programme presently being implemented in the six states of Anambra, Benue, Ebonyi, Ogun, Niger and Taraba. Three additional states of Kogi, Nasarrawa and Enugu are to further participate in the programme.
The programme includes the following components:
- Agricultural Market Development which includes Support to value addition and market linkages, Support to market infrastructure):
- Small Holders Production Enhancement which includes (Support to farmers organization and Support to small holders production) and
- Programme Management and Coordination.
The VCDP intends to expand/ update her data base of individual consultants. Eligible individual consultants are invited to indicate interest in working for the programme at any off:
- National Programme Management Unit, Abuja
- Enugu State Programme Management Unit, Enugu
- Nasarrawa State Programme Management Unit, Keffi.
- Kogi State Programme Management Unit, Lokoja
Programme Objective and Target
The Programme’s objective is that the incomes and food security of poor rural households engaged in production, processing and marketing of rice and cassava in the Programme Area are enhanced on a sustainable basis.
The primary target groups are:
- Poor rural households engaged in the cassava and rice value chains (VCs) who cultivate not more than 5 hectares of land under rice/cassava); and
- Small-scale processors (processing capacity of an average of 2 MT/day for cassava and 4 MT/day for rice) and traders, with emphasis on women and youth.
The secondary target groups include:
- Downstream stakeholders, particularly processors Linked to a large number of the primary target groups;
- Local government councils (LGAs) and communities strengthened to sustainably manage the marketing infrastructures supported by the Programme; and
- Private sector operators strengthened to provide quality services demanded by smallholder farmers and processors.
Specific Tasks Include
- Supporting development of branding and packaging for value chain products (rice and Cassava).
- Prepare manuals/guidelines to document agro processing and quality enhancement initiatives. Render capacity building services.
- Identify technologies and equipment and train VC operators in the use of the improved technologies and equipment.
- Set up cluster based demonstration centers as well as provide technical assistance to groups and clusters.
- Promote establishment of quality norms and standards including appropriate enforceable grading systems in each of the participating state oftheVCDP.
- Carry out demonstration of the use of standard weight and measures for agricultural and processed products.
- Provide standard equipment for weight and volume measurement including calibration
- Provide Training to Value Chain Operators in food processing systems.
- Broker Inter-Agency Collaboration among relevant agencies involved in quality control, grading and standards.
- Put in place framework for the establishment of quality control grading and standards.